Jennifer Hudson Debuts Marriage Equality Song [Video]
We love it when celebrities lend their voices to activate changing attitudes. This time, it’s honey-voiced songstress Jennifer Hudson, who teamed up with W Hotels to make a marriage equality music video.
In this short story, we see a gay man’s emotional plea to his father to attend his wedding. The son leaves his father an impassioned message on his answering machine saying that, “despite everything that’s happened, I still love you.” The father sits in another room, listening. He goes to a drawer, and he pulls out the wedding invitation for his gay son who’s engaged to a man. He’s clearly torn about what to do about being invited to his child’s gay wedding, though we’re not told why.
The film cuts to the son preparing for his wedding with his partner; they’re happy, in love and awaiting the big day ahead. If we tell you anymore, we’d be spoilers. Here’s a bit from JHud, and then we think you should just watch the darn thing. Volume up. x
“I just think the concept was just powerful to go with such a positive song. It’s about love and everyone should have love and have the right to love who they want to love,” Hudson told MTV. “So I thought it would be powerful to take a concept like trying to find your equality in love no matter who you love.”
The video has the Oscar winner teaming up with W Hotel and HRC’s marriage equality campaign, TURN IT UP FOR CHANGE, to spread a positive message of love and acceptance for the LGBTQ community.
+ Full disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. However, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is a lovely and fierce sponsor of Equally Wed, and we’re a big fan of their work. Why? They’re a huge fan of marriage equality and treating everyone with respect.
++ We prefer the term wedding, not gay wedding, lesbian wedding, LGBTQ wedding, etc. But SEO helps get more couples to discover us who need us. So every now and again, you’ll see us throw terms around like that.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 10 truths I’ve learned as a married queer femme mother
- This bisexual singer couldn’t find a wedding song that spoke to him—so he wrote his own
- All the Black Friday and Cyber Monday wedding deals you need to know about
- We spoke to the couple behind that epic Brooklyn Bridge basketball photo
- How to handle questions from family about the wedding
- 6 ways to show your partner you’re grateful for them
- This couple had a kitten hour at their wedding instead of a cocktail hour
- Former Dallas Cowboy Jeff Rohrer came out and revealed he’s getting married
- Modern rooftop wedding in Kansas City, Missouri
- Artistic, cultural wedding in an art gallery