Jennifer Hudson Debuts Marriage Equality Song [Video]
We love it when celebrities lend their voices to activate changing attitudes. This time, it’s honey-voiced songstress Jennifer Hudson, who teamed up with W Hotels to make a marriage equality music video.
In this short story, we see a gay man’s emotional plea to his father to attend his wedding. The son leaves his father an impassioned message on his answering machine saying that, “despite everything that’s happened, I still love you.” The father sits in another room, listening. He goes to a drawer, and he pulls out the wedding invitation for his gay son who’s engaged to a man. He’s clearly torn about what to do about being invited to his child’s gay wedding, though we’re not told why.
The film cuts to the son preparing for his wedding with his partner; they’re happy, in love and awaiting the big day ahead. If we tell you anymore, we’d be spoilers. Here’s a bit from JHud, and then we think you should just watch the darn thing. Volume up. x
“I just think the concept was just powerful to go with such a positive song. It’s about love and everyone should have love and have the right to love who they want to love,” Hudson told MTV. “So I thought it would be powerful to take a concept like trying to find your equality in love no matter who you love.”
The video has the Oscar winner teaming up with W Hotel and HRC’s marriage equality campaign, TURN IT UP FOR CHANGE, to spread a positive message of love and acceptance for the LGBTQ community.
+ Full disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. However, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is a lovely and fierce sponsor of Equally Wed, and we’re a big fan of their work. Why? They’re a huge fan of marriage equality and treating everyone with respect.
++ We prefer the term wedding, not gay wedding, lesbian wedding, LGBTQ wedding, etc. But SEO helps get more couples to discover us who need us. So every now and again, you’ll see us throw terms around like that.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot