VIDEO: Groundbreaking Indian Clothing Ad Features Lesbian Couple
Myntra, a progressive clothing company in India, has created India’s seemingly first lesbian advertisement for its brand Anouk — and it’s quickly going viral (close to 2 million views). The short film features an Indian lesbian couple preparing for a “meet the parents” moment.
As of 2013, it’s currently illegal to engage in homosexual activity in India. (Read: This is not a honeymoon destination, even if you’re looking for adventure after your nuptials!) This type of bold move promotes thoughtful change, and we’re hopeful that it helps push the boundaries of acceptance so that more people can have the freedom to be who they are and love who they want openly without fear of discrimination, arrest and even death.
What are your thoughts on the video that the company shared on YouTube? We’re in love with the tagline at the end: “Bold is beautiful.” Comment below or Tweet us @equallywed with the hashtag #anoukboldisbeautiful.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas
- Say Yes to the Dress celebrity Randy Fenoli is engaged
- Tara and Emma’s purple and ivory wedding at Berkeley City Club in Berkeley, California
- The 19th Explains: Why the Respect for Marriage Act doesn’t codify same-sex marriage rights