Laid back DIY country wedding in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Kate and Laura’s September wedding in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, had a very laid back feel. The couple had several bonfires, fireworks and as they described it, “country bumpkin vibes.” Their wedding was extremely DIY—Laura and her friend Alison even made Laura’s dress themselves with months of work and preparation. They opted to do their own flowers and used a Spotify playlist instead of a DJ. They got married two years after Kate proposed in the middle of the road on a very snowy evening.
Do you have any advice for engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Take your time, don’t rush into things. We’ve been together for seven years and this has taught us to take our time and make sure we are both comfortable making life changes together. Be patient and great things will happen!
SEARCH FOR EQUALITY-MINDED WEDDING VENDORS
Photographer: Mario Asido and Bethany Allen
Ceremony Venue: Big Bras d’Or, Cape Breton
Reception Venue: Private residence in Big Bras d’Or, Cape Breton
Ring: The Devil’s Workshop
Alaina Leary Lavoie
MOST VIEWED STORIES
- Cultural appropriations to avoid at your wedding
- 10 of our favorite LGBTQ+ Pride weddings
- Brides Beanie Feldstein and Bonnie-Chance Roberts marry in an outdoor ‘Jew-ish’ wedding
- These lesbian brides met on Tinder and married in a destination elopement at a beach club in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Overwhelming majority of straight Americans back LGBTQ+ rights, new GLAAD survey finds