Laid back DIY country wedding in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Kate and Laura’s September wedding in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, had a very laid back feel. The couple had several bonfires, fireworks and as they described it, “country bumpkin vibes.” Their wedding was extremely DIY—Laura and her friend Alison even made Laura’s dress themselves with months of work and preparation. They opted to do their own flowers and used a Spotify playlist instead of a DJ. They got married two years after Kate proposed in the middle of the road on a very snowy evening.
Do you have any advice for engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Take your time, don’t rush into things. We’ve been together for seven years and this has taught us to take our time and make sure we are both comfortable making life changes together. Be patient and great things will happen!
Photographer: Mario Asido and Bethany Allen
Ceremony Venue: Big Bras d’Or, Cape Breton
Reception Venue: Private residence in Big Bras d’Or, Cape Breton
Ring: The Devil’s Workshop
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Royal and elegant wedding at Crest Hollow Country Club
- Small summer destination wedding in Perth, Western Australia
- United Methodist Church on verge of split over same-sex marriage and LGBTQ+ clergy
- Moody, fun summer backyard wedding in Los Angeles, California
- Intimate sunset beach wedding ceremony in La Jolla, California
- LGBTQ-friendly birthing and doula group forms in D.C.
- Modern wedding inspiration influenced by artist Katsushika Hokusai
- Marriage equality is now available in Northern Ireland
- Colorful, floral tropical beach destination wedding in Makaha, Hawaii
- Your wedding’s over. Here’s what you can focus on next