Lesbian Couple Denied Marriage Announcement in Alumni Newsletter
By Brittny Drye
Newlyweds in Omaha, Neb., have been denied a marriage announcement in their Catholic high school’s alumni newsletter, a traditional spotlight for those recently married.
The lovebirds exchanged vows on Iowa’s side of a pedestrian bridge that joins with their home state for a legally recognized ceremony. When Lizz Dyer and Katie Brown posted photos of their special day on Facebook, they were surprised when a member of their Marian community offered to put their good news in the quarterly newsletter.
Unfortunately, just before going to print, the Omaha Archdiocese cancelled the notice, squashing the excitement of being featured in the Marian High School‘s newsletter and surrendering the women to disappointment.
“It felt pretty bad. On a personal level it’s almost saying my relationship with my wife isn’t good enough or it’s not valid,” says Dyer. “We’re just asking that they share with our classmates and friends that we got married, which we did.”
“For this announcement to be in a Catholic schools’ newsletter would be an endorsement of a belief of a teaching that is not upheld by the Catholic Church,” Deacon Tim McNeil, chancellor of the Omaha Archdiocese said of the decision.
In hopes of overturning, friends of the couple have begun a petition, which has already gained 700 signatures. Unfortunately, McNeil notes that no matter how many signatures they gather, there is no chance the announcement will run.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal