Ozarks engagement session after a meet cute in the operating room
Amanda and Jessica met in an operating room at the Ohio State University Medical Center. Amanda had just started her neurosurgical residency, and Jessica was working in the same department. The couple started training together and quickly fell in love.
Six months after they started dating, Jessica proposed to Amanda at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium during a fundraising event.
“We were riding the Safari Stampede,” Jessica says, “and because she’s such a whirlwind of positive energy in my life, I thought it the perfect opportunity to ask her if she wanted to spend forever with me on the crazy ride we call life. The ride operator was in on it, and asked Amanda over the loud speaker while the ride was in motion.”
When the ride stopped, Jessica was standing there with a ring. Amanda said yes, but she also asked Jessica to get down on one knee.
“The issue with that is not that I don’t love her enough to get down on bended knee,” Jessica says, “but that I couldn’t get back up because of an extensive knee injury from my ten years in the Army. And because I couldn’t get back up, she met me there, on the metal platform of a ride at the zoo, to kiss me. She still helps me up to this day and it is a moment we cherish and still laugh about all the time.”
Together, the couple is raising two children that Jessica brought into the relationship.
“I love sharing a life with Amanda,” she says, “because everything we do is together. It’s something I’ve never had with a partner before. She brings peace to my world after so many years of hardship and I will be forever grateful for that.”
The couple celebrated their engagement with a photo session at Lake Leatherwood Park in Arkansas.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Abigail Derrick Photography
Hair and Makeup: Blossom Beauty
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake