Paige + Kerri: Intimate adventure wedding on an Alaskan mountaintop
Wild. Brave. Free. Paige and Kerri’s adventure wedding was full of creativity and love. After a meandering helicopter ride, the couple made their commitments to each other on an Alaskan mountaintop overlooking the glaciers.
In their daily lives, the Salem, Massachusetts, couple juggled an “insane work and travel life.” With varying levels of support from their family, they found the process of a traditional ceremony exhausting. They told Equally Wed: “We wanted to turn our wedding into an adventure, which is what we truly love to do together.”
The couple celebrated their bach party in Puerto Escondido, Mexico, then legally signed the marriage paperwork at a Massachusetts courthouse. But spontaneity and connection defined the ceremony itself.
With nothing but their wedding essentials and some gear, the couple embarked on a helicopter ride across the Knik River and the surrounding mountains. They traveled alone with the photographer and the pilot. “The photographer and pilot didn’t know what they were in for,” they told Equally Wed. “But they ended up being a really special part of the day. It was like being with friends.
“We landed in various locations to hike, go in the glacier lake, and play around until we found THE location. The location we chose was on top of a mountain with a ridge just big enough for the helicopter and our intimate ceremony. It was special because very few people had been there before.
“Once we found ‘the spot’ and figured out how to land the helicopter, we pulled out our bags. We changed our clothes in the wide open landscape, did each others’ hair and makeup, then threw on stilettos (hardly suitable for the outdoors).”
Kerri and Paige said their vows privately, away from even the photographer and the pilot.
“We had so many ‘opinions’ around our wedding—we wanted no one else and nothing else present as we made our commitment to each other. It was symbolic for us: the two of us together could take on the world. We would always be there for each other.”
Following the ceremony, the couple packed up their camper van and headed on an Alaskan road trip for their honeymoon.
“Truly choose what makes you happy,” Paige and Kerri advise other LGBTQ+ couples. “The day was so special and exactly what we wanted together. We are so glad we didn’t guilt ourselves into anything else!”
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC