Parents magazine has its first cover with gay parents, and conservatives are mad
Shaun T., a fitness motivational speaker and creator of the Insanity workout, and his husband and business partner Scott Blokker are the first same-sex parents featured on the cover of Parents magazine, according to LGBTQ Nation. Their twins, Silas Rhys and Sander Vaughn, are also on the cover.
The magazine is running a feature story on Shaun and Scott’s journey to parenthood and their attempts to have children using surrogates. “On their last night there, we had no monitors, no nurses, just us,” Shaun tells Parents. “I remember thinking, ‘This will be a piece of cake.’ I was so wrong. They cried nonstop!”
One Million Moms, a subgroup of the American Family Association, spoke out against the magazine’s decision to feature gay parents on its cover.
Follow @equallyfamily on Instagram to see more positive stories on LGBTQ+ parents
“Mothers and fathers are seeing more and more similar examples of children being indoctrinated to perceive same-sex couples as normal, especially in the media,” an unsigned blog post on their website says.
Parents magazine has been around since 1926, but this is the magazine’s first cover featuring same-sex parents. It’s definitely a step in the right direction toward more inclusive family reporting in mainstream publications. In 2019, let’s show Parents and other outlets that all LGBTQ+ parents (and the topics we care about) are worth many more cover stories and features.
Photo: Amanda Pratt
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot