Parents magazine has its first cover with gay parents, and conservatives are mad
Shaun T., a fitness motivational speaker and creator of the Insanity workout, and his husband and business partner Scott Blokker are the first same-sex parents featured on the cover of Parents magazine, according to LGBTQ Nation. Their twins, Silas Rhys and Sander Vaughn, are also on the cover.
The magazine is running a feature story on Shaun and Scott’s journey to parenthood and their attempts to have children using surrogates. “On their last night there, we had no monitors, no nurses, just us,” Shaun tells Parents. “I remember thinking, ‘This will be a piece of cake.’ I was so wrong. They cried nonstop!”
One Million Moms, a subgroup of the American Family Association, spoke out against the magazine’s decision to feature gay parents on its cover.
Follow @equallyfamily on Instagram to see more positive stories on LGBTQ+ parents
“Mothers and fathers are seeing more and more similar examples of children being indoctrinated to perceive same-sex couples as normal, especially in the media,” an unsigned blog post on their website says.
Parents magazine has been around since 1926, but this is the magazine’s first cover featuring same-sex parents. It’s definitely a step in the right direction toward more inclusive family reporting in mainstream publications. In 2019, let’s show Parents and other outlets that all LGBTQ+ parents (and the topics we care about) are worth many more cover stories and features.
Photo: Amanda Pratt
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding