Parents magazine has its first cover with gay parents, and conservatives are mad
Shaun T., a fitness motivational speaker and creator of the Insanity workout, and his husband and business partner Scott Blokker are the first same-sex parents featured on the cover of Parents magazine, according to LGBTQ Nation. Their twins, Silas Rhys and Sander Vaughn, are also on the cover.
The magazine is running a feature story on Shaun and Scott’s journey to parenthood and their attempts to have children using surrogates. “On their last night there, we had no monitors, no nurses, just us,” Shaun tells Parents. “I remember thinking, ‘This will be a piece of cake.’ I was so wrong. They cried nonstop!”
One Million Moms, a subgroup of the American Family Association, spoke out against the magazine’s decision to feature gay parents on its cover.
Follow @equallyfamily on Instagram to see more positive stories on LGBTQ+ parents
“Mothers and fathers are seeing more and more similar examples of children being indoctrinated to perceive same-sex couples as normal, especially in the media,” an unsigned blog post on their website says.
Parents magazine has been around since 1926, but this is the magazine’s first cover featuring same-sex parents. It’s definitely a step in the right direction toward more inclusive family reporting in mainstream publications. In 2019, let’s show Parents and other outlets that all LGBTQ+ parents (and the topics we care about) are worth many more cover stories and features.
Photo: Amanda Pratt
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts