Parents magazine has its first cover with gay parents, and conservatives are mad
Shaun T., a fitness motivational speaker and creator of the Insanity workout, and his husband and business partner Scott Blokker are the first same-sex parents featured on the cover of Parents magazine, according to LGBTQ Nation. Their twins, Silas Rhys and Sander Vaughn, are also on the cover.
The magazine is running a feature story on Shaun and Scott’s journey to parenthood and their attempts to have children using surrogates. “On their last night there, we had no monitors, no nurses, just us,” Shaun tells Parents. “I remember thinking, ‘This will be a piece of cake.’ I was so wrong. They cried nonstop!”
One Million Moms, a subgroup of the American Family Association, spoke out against the magazine’s decision to feature gay parents on its cover.
Follow @equallyfamily on Instagram to see more positive stories on LGBTQ+ parents
“Mothers and fathers are seeing more and more similar examples of children being indoctrinated to perceive same-sex couples as normal, especially in the media,” an unsigned blog post on their website says.
Parents magazine has been around since 1926, but this is the magazine’s first cover featuring same-sex parents. It’s definitely a step in the right direction toward more inclusive family reporting in mainstream publications. In 2019, let’s show Parents and other outlets that all LGBTQ+ parents (and the topics we care about) are worth many more cover stories and features.
Photo: Amanda Pratt
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal