Parents magazine has its first cover with gay parents, and conservatives are mad
Shaun T., a fitness motivational speaker and creator of the Insanity workout, and his husband and business partner Scott Blokker are the first same-sex parents featured on the cover of Parents magazine, according to LGBTQ Nation. Their twins, Silas Rhys and Sander Vaughn, are also on the cover.
The magazine is running a feature story on Shaun and Scott’s journey to parenthood and their attempts to have children using surrogates. “On their last night there, we had no monitors, no nurses, just us,” Shaun tells Parents. “I remember thinking, ‘This will be a piece of cake.’ I was so wrong. They cried nonstop!”
One Million Moms, a subgroup of the American Family Association, spoke out against the magazine’s decision to feature gay parents on its cover.
Follow @equallyfamily on Instagram to see more positive stories on LGBTQ+ parents
“Mothers and fathers are seeing more and more similar examples of children being indoctrinated to perceive same-sex couples as normal, especially in the media,” an unsigned blog post on their website says.
Parents magazine has been around since 1926, but this is the magazine’s first cover featuring same-sex parents. It’s definitely a step in the right direction toward more inclusive family reporting in mainstream publications. In 2019, let’s show Parents and other outlets that all LGBTQ+ parents (and the topics we care about) are worth many more cover stories and features.
Photo: Amanda Pratt
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California
- Don’t make these 5 mistakes when choosing a sperm bank
- Alabama mayor suggests killing LGBTQ+ people and other LGBTQ+ news
- A ‘Straight Pride’ parade is planned and people are very upset
- The creators of the same-sex Barbie wedding set just got married
- You can win the Midwestern Pride wedding of your dreams—here’s how
- Colorful red and white engagement photos in Brooklyn, New York
- Nominate a love champion