How to plan for rain on your wedding day
Plan for rain on your wedding day. You’ll be glad you did.
Rain. The dreaded word you don’t want to hear when it comes to your wedding day. Whether you plan for it or not, if it’s going to happen, then it’s going to happen. Here’s how to be safe rather than sorry.
Pack a rainy day kit
If you fall victim to rain, it may undo the hair or makeup you had done. Pack a bag of essentials such as hair gel, a comb, mascara, makeup brushes and tissues to be able to make any touch-ups needed due to rain. Designate a member of your wedding party or a family member to be responsible for having this kit on hand at all times. Also have rainboots on hand to keep your feet dry.
Have enough back-up umbrellas on-hand for at least the entire wedding party. If you are getting married in a very rainy environment or during a rainy season, consider giving out umbrellas as a favor. If umbrellas are not a cost effective option, have rain ponchos on hand for your guests. Umbrellas also make for a great photo op so be sure to have at least one or two on hand that you would like to use for pictures!
Whether your ceremony, reception or both is scheduled to be outside, make sure your venue has somewhere to celebrate your big day in case of rain. If you are getting married in an outdoor only venue, consider renting a tent to cover your ceremony or reception.
Put in flooring
Even if your wedding day is full of sunshine, if it’s been pouring in the time leading up to your wedding, the ground will be muddy which can ruin shoes, dresses and the hems of pants. Avoid a muddy mess and put down flooring for your wedding ceremony and reception. Flooring can be wiped dry much quicker than a muddy ground will dry up and will create a cleaner day.
Embrace the rain
If you know it is going to rain, embrace it. Put on some warm socks and trade in those expensive shoes for galoshes. Jump in puddles for your ceremony photos. You can’t do anything to change the weather, so try and make the best of it. You only get one wedding, don’t let a little water spoil your big day.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day