Questions to ask before you choose a wedding photographer
Choosing a wedding photographer is one of the most fun parts of wedding planning! You and your partner get to look at wedding albums and products, scroll through your favorite Instagram tags, and gaze at beautiful images for hours.
There’s a lot of preparation involved in this decision, though. You want to be absolutely thrilled with your wedding photos, and you don’t want to walk away from the special occasion with any regrets.
Here’s a list of questions you should ask your prospective wedding photographers while you’re interviewing them (and you should be interviewing any potentials you’re serious about!) before you make the final choice.
- Do you have my date available? Would this be the only wedding you’re shooting that day/weekend and/or when is the next event you’d be shooting after my wedding?
- Will you have any assistants with you?
- Will you be the one photographing my wedding? (Some photographers work in a studio with others, and if your photographer owns their business, they may employ others.)
- How long have you been a wedding photographer?
- How much of your business is comprised of weddings?
- Have you photographed any weddings that are similar in size and style to ours?
- Have you photographed any LGBTQ+ weddings or LGBTQ+ couples?
- Can we see a full gallery of a past wedding that is similar in size and style to ours?
- Have you ever shot a wedding at our venue?
- Have you ever worked with any of my other vendors (especially if you also have a videographer)?
- How many weddings per year do you typically shoot?
- What’s your price range, and do you offer any special packages or discounts at specific times of the year? Do you offer custom packages if what I’m looking for isn’t included?
- How many high-resolution digital images will we receive? How many prints? How much do additional images or prints cost?
- How many hours are included in each package? How much does it cost to add additional hours?
- What is the usual wait time before we’ll receive our photos?
- Do you charge a travel fee, and how much is it?
- May we have a list of references?
- Do you offer any sneak preview photos before we can see the full gallery?
- Do you offer an engagement session or any other packages we might be interested in beyond just the day of the wedding? (Some couples do honeymoon photos, a separate day of photos with the wedding party, save the date photos, or other countdowns.)
- How do you describe your working style? Do you like to blend into the background or do you prefer to offer suggestions, pose people, etc.?
- How do you describe the style of your photos?
- How will you (and any assistants) be dressed on the day of the wedding?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- Will you carry backup equipment with you to our wedding?
- Do you shoot with flash, natural light, or both?
- Do you offer any retouching on your photos, and is that included or is it an extra fee?
- Can we order print products, albums, canvases, etc. from you and do you have a price list available? Do you include any print credit in your packages?
- Will we have rights to the images?
- Will you be submitting our images to any publications, such as wedding magazines, or posting them online anywhere?
- How much do you require for a deposit, and when do we need to pay that?
- What is your refund policy?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Can we request a specific shot list of photos that we would like you to capture?
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake