Sun-soaked engagement session at Canyonlands National Park
Julie and Meagan celebrated their engagement with a gorgeous, sun-soaked photo session at Utah’s Canyonlands National Park.
How did you meet?
We met while working at a summer camp in Ohio. We became fast best friends the second summer we worked together there, and fell into a slow kind of love and intimacy founded in our friendship. We then ended up doing long distance for 3 years after that while I (Julie) completed a volunteer year and graduate school, and then finally closed the distance when I moved to Utah! We got engaged a year later and now have been together for nearly seven years!
What’s your proposal story?
We did not have a formal proposal. We were driving to a camping weekend in Zion National Park and ended up talking about what our ideal wedding would be. Meagan looked at me and said, “Well we just planned our whole wedding..should we just get engaged?” And I responded, “Like, right now?? I’ve been done for awhile!” We mutually decided our ‘yes’ and celebrated with a weekend of hiking and camping in Zion before we told any of our family or friends.
When did you know that you were meant to be with each other?
The summer we were working together at camp, I (Julie) got stung by a bee. At the time I didn’t know that I was allergic to bees and I had a severe allergic reaction just shy of anaphylaxis. I low-key thought I was going to die and ended up going to the emergency room. When I got back to camp after all of that, Meagan wrapped me up in the biggest and tightest hug and teared up a little. She thought about life without me and it hit our relationship a little different to realize how much we wanted to spend our lives together. This was one of the most formative moments early on in our relationship that solidified us choosing to do long distance for three years.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Kayla Bertagnolli Photography
Venue: Canyonlands National Park
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor