The rain only made this Canadian Rocky Mountain elopement more romantic
Melissa and Hilary’s October elopement in the Canadian Rocky Mountains was perfectly cozy and romantic.
“It was rainy and windy,” the couple writes, “but the autumn dew was so cozy and beautiful.” They describe the day as “hygge,” a Danish word for being so cozy as to be perfectly content.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Do what feels right. I am so happy we didn’t cave into pressures to not elope. Our wedding day – actually the whole weekend – was truly magical. We are both reserved, introverted people and knew that a big wedding would probably not be very comfortable for us. Though there are many people in our lives who we love, we knew in our hearts that an elopement was what we truly wanted so we could spend this special moment in our lives alone together.
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Advertise that you’re LGBTQ+ friendly on your marketing materials. This goes a long way when LGBTQ+ couples are looking for vendors and venues that are safe and comfortable.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
We were pretty lucky to not have many issues when planning our elopement/wedding. All the vendors we worked with were very supportive and affirming. The biggest challenge I would say was deciding to elope and explaining to family and friends that this was our decision. That being said, we had planned for a large reception this spring to celebrate but it was unfortunately cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic crisis… but that’s another story!
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
When we applied for our marriage license at a registry in Edmonton, the paperwork said “BRIDE” and “GROOM” which was a little strange. It’s now an ongoing joke that I (Melissa) am the groom in our lesbian marriage.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Brina Debalinhard Photography
Venue: Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Florist: Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Planner: Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Jewelry: Rings By Ecksand
Videographer: Brina Debalinhard Photography
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH