The trans pride flag emoji finally exists — here’s how you can get it
Android users recently discovered it’s possible to create the Trans Pride flag emoji. The sequence combines the white flag emoji with the transgender symbol to create the blue, pink and white transgender pride flag. This trick only works on Android devices while using the newest version of WhatsApp.
If you want to try it for yourself, you can use a ZWJ sequence of the 🏳️ White Flag emoji and ⚧ Male with Stroke and Male and Female Sign Unicode character. If you paste this sequence – 🏳️⚧ – into WhatsApp on an Android, it will create the Trans Pride Flag. You can copy and paste the necessary combination into WhatsApp directly from Emojipedia.
In February, an anti-LGBTQ+ emoji—which combines the rainbow Pride Flag and the strikethrough symbol—went viral after users discovered it and posted it on Twitter. The emoji combination wasn’t a glitch, according to Emojipedia founder Jeremy Burge, it’s how the strikethrough works in combination with any other emoji.
Advocates have been asking for the Trans Flag to be included in both Android and Apple updates for years to no avail, despite being one of Emojipedia’s top 50 emojis requests in 2019. The Unicode Consortium recently announced that gender-neutral couples and emojis showcasing disability will be part of the next update, which will be rolled out in October.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot