Wedding planning discrimination is still prevalent in the United States
A couple’s wedding day should be the happiest day of their life together, and planning that big day should be nothing but joyous. Unfortunately, for many LGBTQ couples, this is not the case.
“According to a recent study from The Knot and Q.Digital (the parent company of LGBTQ Nation), nearly a third of female couples (30%) and 11% of male couples said they were rejected by wedding vendors or left feeling uncomfortable due to their LGBTQ identity.”
This news does not come as a surprise to many, as the right to refuse service to clients based on their sexual orientation is currently a hot political topic.
According to The New York Times, the Supreme Court decided at the end of June that they will hear an appeal next year from the Colorado baker who lost a discrimination case after refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding.
“Although every LGBTQ couple faces challenges when planning their wedding, the messages of resilience and celebration are what stand out,” writes Kirsten Palladino, co-founder and editorial director of Equally Wed. “We may have won the freedom to marry, but the battle for social acceptance and understanding wages on.”
Looking for equality-minded vendors for your wedding? Click here for a list of vendors.
Are you an equality-minded vendor who wants to share with LGBTQ couples everywhere that you will not discriminate? Become a preferred local vendor.
Equally Wed Editors
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal