Wedding planning discrimination is still prevalent in the United States
A couple’s wedding day should be the happiest day of their life together, and planning that big day should be nothing but joyous. Unfortunately, for many LGBTQ couples, this is not the case.
“According to a recent study from The Knot and Q.Digital (the parent company of LGBTQ Nation), nearly a third of female couples (30%) and 11% of male couples said they were rejected by wedding vendors or left feeling uncomfortable due to their LGBTQ identity.”
This news does not come as a surprise to many, as the right to refuse service to clients based on their sexual orientation is currently a hot political topic.
According to The New York Times, the Supreme Court decided at the end of June that they will hear an appeal next year from the Colorado baker who lost a discrimination case after refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding.
“Although every LGBTQ couple faces challenges when planning their wedding, the messages of resilience and celebration are what stand out,” writes Kirsten Palladino, co-founder and editorial director of Equally Wed. “We may have won the freedom to marry, but the battle for social acceptance and understanding wages on.”
Looking for equality-minded vendors for your wedding? Click here for a list of vendors.
Are you an equality-minded vendor who wants to share with LGBTQ couples everywhere that you will not discriminate? Become a preferred local vendor.
Equally Wed Editors
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake