Whiskey and donuts Texas woodland wedding
For a couple that was brought together over a shot of whisky and some donuts, it only made sense that those two elements were infused throughout Nathan and Benny’s relationship, from their engagement video to their wedding.
“I met Benny in November of 2010 at a friend’s dance party called ‘The Bathhouse’ and we chatted briefly before exchanging numbers,” Nathan shared on the couple’s wedding website. “One of our first dates was a scavenger hunt called ‘Urban Dare.’ When asked what our team name was, we had no clue. Since we had each kicked back a shot of whiskey and swallowed down a donut (two in my case), we went with the name ‘Whiskey & Donuts’ aka ‘Team WaD.’ Fun Fact: A shot of whiskey at 8am tastes much different than it does at 8pm.”
The couple shared their custom-made engagement announcement video on their website as well.
At the outdoor ceremony, Benny and Nathan’s parents walked out together, followed by Benny. Then, the ‘Grease’ song “You’re the One That I Want’ was played and Benny and Nathan did a lip-sync performance to the hit.
The newlyweds embraced their Texas woodland wedding theme by dressing up as does, complete with deer-print suit jackets. The day’s decor featured a wide variety of custom art from rabbit sculptures to hanging fixtures. Performances, a protester, a WWE wrestler, commissioned artwork, drag queens and videos from music celebrities filled the day with entertainment. Benny and Nathan’s mothers had a lip-sync challenge to see who would get to dance with her son. Little did they know that both were going to be the winner.
A cake with a wood-looking exterior was served, topped with custom white chocolate fox cub skulls. For a couple who fell in love over donuts, it was only fitting that donuts were served at the wedding as well!
Guests used metallic pens to sign the all-black guest book, and were treated to a unique photo booth experience that took pictures and created quick sketches of the images as well.
From the couple: Our wedding was woodland-themed with faux taxidermy creatures we created that were inspired by our artist friend Liz McGrath. The wedding wasn’t your standard stuffy wedding. We invited guests to participate throughout as this was not just a celebration about us, but a celebration of love.
Photographer: Ryan Adkins
Wedding venue: Prospect House
Florist: Zinnia & Company
Planner: Nathan and Benny
Entertainment: Big Dipper
Invitations: Gardiner Rhoderick with artwork from Liz McGrath and Beth Cavener
Attire: Custom jacket created by Project Runway designer Daniel Esquivel
Catering: Noble Sandwich
Cake: Sugar Shaker Bakery
Cake topper: Britain’s Conjurer’s Kitchen
Jewelry: Snash Jewelry – custom pieces
Videographer: Adam Grumbo Films
Officiant: Spike Gillespie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL