A roaring 20s wedding with lush greenery and pops of gold
Just a few weeks before their February 2020 wedding, Mike and Ethan’s venue unexpectedly shut down. But they didn’t let this rather large wrinkle stop the joy and optimism they felt leading up to their wedding. With the help of their vendors, they found the beautiful Norfolk Hall event space in Charlotte, North Carolina.
“Their Art Deco, minimalistic vibe blended perfectly with Norfolk’s modern, industrial feel,” says their photographer, Megan Easterday of Easterday Creative. “As for the feeling of the day, one word to sum it all up: JOY.”
Despite everything working out, the couple highly recommends being vigilant about making sure your venue will remain open for your special day.
“Our original wedding venue was Noah’s Event Venue and they declared bankruptcy after we had booked the venue but assured us they weren’t closing for months!” Mike says. “Months and months they kept saying they were fine. Then two weeks before the wedding, they closed.”
Thankfully, Mike and Ethan’s vendors were extremely flexible and helpful. At Norfolk Hall, Mike and Ethan went for a Roaring 20s vibe with a black, white, silver and gold color scheme.
“We incorporated those colors into our tuxedos that were opposite of the other,” says Mike. “So I wore a white jacket with silver buttons and Ethan wore black with gold buttons.”
The venue was decorated with white floral arrangements that also included heavy greenery that, as Mike says, would “help the room pop.”
They also had corsages and boutonnieres made for their siblings as well as themselves. Mike’s contained a piece of his mom’s wedding veil from when she married his dad 35 years earlier.
“I was honored and elated to have that with me on my wedding day,” he says.
The couple had a short ceremony with the intention of spending as much time as possible with loved ones.
“Our ‘I dos’ were short and sweet,” says Mike, “and we didn’t have vows or anything for two reasons: We both were horrified of being the center of attention for too long and because, like I said earlier, we wanted to get to partying.”
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Easterday Creative
Venue: Norfolk Hall
Event Planner: Hospitality Butler
Caterer: QC Catering
Cake: Ella’s Celestial Cakes
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH