Kelly and Haley took their engagement photos in and around Arts District Brewing Company in downtown Los Angeles, California.
“I met Haley after moving from Seattle, Washington, to Los Angeles, California. Weeks after landing a job as the children’s minister at All Saints Church in Pasadena, I started swiping. I was mostly swiping left but Haley caught my eye. It was a 92 percent match!
We had our first date at the Arts District Brewery and even though I ordered a sour, we agreed to go out again two days later. I fell more in love with Haley as I fell move in love with my new home in LA. Haley told me they loved me while we were floating in the Pacific Ocean. We spent the evening on the Santa Monica Pier. Dates turned into U-hauls and we moved in together a few months after dating.
We got engaged March 24, 2018, almost exactly a year after we met. I was totally surprised. We took an Uber pool to the brewery where we had our first date. My family from the Midwest and our friends were hiding under the bar. We ordered the same drinks we got on our first date and Haley asked if I wanted to go in the photo booth. We went inside and it was broken— ha!
Haley asked in the photo booth anyway and as we walked out all our friends and my family were there. It was an amazing day! We grew our family the day after our engagement photos were taken when we rescued our pit bull puppy, Luna Tuna. Haley is the love of my life and I adore them.” —Kelly O’Phelan
“I was on my way to my grandpa’s house to meet his girlfriend when I saw that Kelly had liked me back on OKCupid and we were a 92 percent match. I thought to myself, ‘If my grandpa can find a girlfriend then so can I, dammit!’ and I sent a message. Within a few days, we agreed to meet at Arts District Brewery for some skee ball and beer.
It turns out Kelly doesn’t like beer, and the conversation was so good we never got around to skeeball, but she asked to schedule a second date that night, so it went pretty well. We kept seeing each other, kept texting, kept trying out each other’s obsessions (baseball and drag race) and soon I couldn’t imagine not sharing my life with her.
I love how intertwined her hard work ethic and passion for fun are. I love making her laugh. I love that she confronts power instead of just complaining. I love how she listens and plays and plans. I love her.” —Haley Compean
Photographer: Maddie Maschger Photography
Location: Arts District Brewing Company
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- This surprise proposal Las Vegas style will make you happy cry
- 9 themed weddings you’ll love, from Beauty and the Beast to astronomy
- There will be a presidential primary debate entirely on LGBTQ+ issues
- Elegant southern church wedding in Conroe, Texas
- If you want to look like royalty on your wedding day, wear a crown
- 6 places you can get tomboy and genderqueer wedding attire
- These wedding capes are the best way to be extra when you get married
- Classic purple vintage wedding in Towson, Maryland
- U.S. soccer stars Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris are now engaged
- Modern intimate destination wedding with Hawaiian traditions