Breathtaking fall proposal at Colorado’s iconic Maroon Bells
David Proposed to Rob in the iconic Maroon Bells wilderness near Aspen, Colorado. Their photographer, Sheena Shahangian, tells the heartwarming story best:
“There’s a reason [the Maroon Bells] is one of the most visited places in the state, particularly in the fall months, when the aspens are ablaze with fiery yellow and orange tones. At sunrise, if you’re lucky, you can even catch some alpenglow on the mountains. This is where the sun hits the tips of the mountains at sunrise and turns them a maroon-orangey color.
To say Rob was surprised about the proposal would be an understatement. David wanted to make sure everything felt secretive, so he told Rob that all they were doing that morning was a couples photoshoot. I met up with the two of them well before sunrise, and we all drove over to Maroon Bells in the dark and walked out to a meadow near the lake, where we waited for the morning light to arrive.
David and I wanted to make sure we didn’t give any inkling to Rob of what was going to happen, so we simply started the morning with me taking photos of the two of them exploring the area. They walked together in the tall grasses and meandered through the gorgeous fall aspen meadows. Then we found ‘the spot’ where David would propose: a gorgeous tucked away section of trail framed with aspen trees but with the mountains towering behind too.
I gave David the signal that I was ready when he was, and he began the proposal. Rob loves expressing himself through writing letters, so David started the proposal by reading a letter to Rob, sharing how much he loved him and talking about the adventures he wanted to pursue with him. He concluded the letter by getting down on one knee, and one look at Rob’s completely shocked face could tell you he had absolutely no idea this was coming. It was the most emotional, beautiful, exciting surprise. It goes without saying that Rob gave an emphatic ‘yes’ back to David.
We spent the rest of the morning exploring the area around Maroon Bells and then heading up one of my favorite mountain passes outside of Aspen, where we ran into a late September snowstorm. We essentially got to experience two completely different seasons on their proposal day, and it’s like the Colorado sky was celebrating with David and Rob.”
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Sheena Shahangian Photography
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH