Church wedding with traditional Mississippi roots
Amy and Leslie wanted their wedding service to incorporate many traditional religious elements, true to the couple’s Mississippi Christian roots, with their entire church and extended families present. The wedding was officiated by the retired pastor who had counseled them throughout the engagement. As the congregation received Communion, a bisexual singer performed a setting of a poem by Sappho, “Awed By Her Splendor,” arranged by one of the couple’s composer friends at Boston Conservatory.
The celebration of Communion appeared centrally in Amy and Leslie’s service because it holds particular importance to both of them as women who enjoy cooking and baking as a way to foster community. Their first dance was to Mary Lambert’s “She Keeps Me Warm,” and during the service, organ music played. Instead of a cake, because Leslie is gluten-free, wedding guests enjoyed a chocolate fountain.
Photographer: Ashley Prewitt Photography
Ceremony Venue: Fondren Presbyterian Church
Reception Venue: The Fairview Inn
Florist: Helen Boone at Fondren Presbyterian Church
Event Planner: Jan Taylor at Fondren Presbyterian Church
Invitation Designer: Minted
Attendant Attire: Azazie
Videographer: Foxtrot Film Co.
Catering: The Fairview Inn
Officiant: Rev. Vernon (Van) Edington
Organist: David Harrison
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC