Emotional surprise elopement in Venice
After years had passed since Texas couple Larry and Gil got engaged, Larry and the pair’s best friend, Katie, decided it was time to make this wedding happen.
While they were all on a trip to Venice, Italy together, Larry and Katie decided to surprise Gil with an elopement.
Gil thought he was on his way to a party when Larry turned around and asked if he still wanted to get married. Of course, Gil still did.
“The excitement and emotion were just incredible!” said photographer Selene Pozzer of ManiSol Wedding Photography and Videography.
A gondola ride led the group to the ceremony venue, a small town square anchored by a Venetian well draped in pink and yellow flowers. A guitarist and singer also awaited the couple.
During the ceremony, a group of boats nearby were celebrating a baptism. The wedding party was nervous the people in the boats might shout something discriminatory about a gay wedding. But instead, something magical happened.
Just after Larry and Gil shared their first kiss as husband and husband, the people in the boats began to sing the Italian song, “Ti Amo [I love you]” by Umberto Tozzi.
“Needless to say, we were all crying a lot!” Pozzer said.
The couple celebrated with stunning photos around the city and dinner at a beautiful restaurant.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: ManiSol Wedding Photography and Videography.
Florist: Pretty Flowers
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding