Anti-gay baker wins Supreme Court gay wedding cake lawsuit
The Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 in favor of Masterpiece Cakeshop, a Colorado bakery, that refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. The decision is complicated in that it is not saying it is OK to discriminate against same-sex couples or LGBTQ+ people in any way. The Court decided that the organization that brought the lawsuit to the federal level, Colorado Civil Rights Commission, acted with hostility toward Masterpiece Cakeshop’s owner Jack Phillips. And how did it do that? By comparing his religious defense to those who defended slavery and the Holocaust with their religious beliefs. Are the comparisons true? Yes. People have long used selective passages in the bible to defend their hateful vitriol and crimes against minorities. Should the State of Colorado have treated Phillips better during the case when it was at the state level? The Supreme Court thinks so.
The ruling today was not about whether or not Phillips should be required to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. It was about how Colorado treated Phillips during a state case. The Supreme Court reversed Colorado’s state court decision which previously ruled in favor of the gay couple, Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, and against Masterpiece Cakeshop.
And while all this makes sense, at the end of the day, the Supreme Court sided with a homophobic human who discriminated against a loving gay couple using anti-gay sentiments and the weak argument that Jesus also would not have made a cake for a gay wedding.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Dark Greek mythology wedding inspiration that calls to your inner goth
- Supreme Court rejected the Hawaii B&B that denied a lesbian couple
- This surprise proposal Las Vegas style will make you happy cry
- 9 themed weddings you’ll love, from Beauty and the Beast to astronomy
- There will be a presidential primary debate entirely on LGBTQ+ issues
- Elegant southern church wedding in Conroe, Texas
- If you want to look like royalty on your wedding day, wear a crown
- 6 places you can get tomboy and genderqueer wedding attire
- These wedding capes are the best way to be extra when you get married
- Classic purple vintage wedding in Towson, Maryland