Anti-gay baker wins Supreme Court gay wedding cake lawsuit
The Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 in favor of Masterpiece Cakeshop, a Colorado bakery, that refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. The decision is complicated in that it is not saying it is OK to discriminate against same-sex couples or LGBTQ+ people in any way. The Court decided that the organization that brought the lawsuit to the federal level, Colorado Civil Rights Commission, acted with hostility toward Masterpiece Cakeshop’s owner Jack Phillips. And how did it do that? By comparing his religious defense to those who defended slavery and the Holocaust with their religious beliefs. Are the comparisons true? Yes. People have long used selective passages in the bible to defend their hateful vitriol and crimes against minorities. Should the State of Colorado have treated Phillips better during the case when it was at the state level? The Supreme Court thinks so.
The ruling today was not about whether or not Phillips should be required to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. It was about how Colorado treated Phillips during a state case. The Supreme Court reversed Colorado’s state court decision which previously ruled in favor of the gay couple, Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, and against Masterpiece Cakeshop.
And while all this makes sense, at the end of the day, the Supreme Court sided with a homophobic human who discriminated against a loving gay couple using anti-gay sentiments and the weak argument that Jesus also would not have made a cake for a gay wedding.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 12 unique places to elope
- Sophisticated and modern Friday night wedding
- Rainbow Italian wedding in Cagliari
- The best first dance songs you can play at your wedding
- Fun, colorful arcade engagement photos
- Traditional Jewish wedding during Pride Month
- Colorful, sophisticated Latin wedding in Phoenix, Arizona
- Eclectic colorful Frida Kahlo beach wedding inspiration
- Destination Mexican beach wedding at Akiin Tulum Beach Club
- Nature and puppies wedding inspiration