Anti-gay baker wins Supreme Court gay wedding cake lawsuit
The Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 in favor of Masterpiece Cakeshop, a Colorado bakery, that refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. The decision is complicated in that it is not saying it is OK to discriminate against same-sex couples or LGBTQ+ people in any way. The Court decided that the organization that brought the lawsuit to the federal level, Colorado Civil Rights Commission, acted with hostility toward Masterpiece Cakeshop’s owner Jack Phillips. And how did it do that? By comparing his religious defense to those who defended slavery and the Holocaust with their religious beliefs. Are the comparisons true? Yes. People have long used selective passages in the bible to defend their hateful vitriol and crimes against minorities. Should the State of Colorado have treated Phillips better during the case when it was at the state level? The Supreme Court thinks so.
The ruling today was not about whether or not Phillips should be required to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. It was about how Colorado treated Phillips during a state case. The Supreme Court reversed Colorado’s state court decision which previously ruled in favor of the gay couple, Charlie Craig and Dave Mullins, and against Masterpiece Cakeshop.
And while all this makes sense, at the end of the day, the Supreme Court sided with a homophobic human who discriminated against a loving gay couple using anti-gay sentiments and the weak argument that Jesus also would not have made a cake for a gay wedding.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings