Hindu Jewish lesbian couple celebrates two weddings of faith
Couple Kalavati Mistry and Miriam Jefferson celebrated their 20+ year relationship by tying the knot, twice. Mistry, Hindu and Jefferson, Jewish, each honored their faith with a traditional wedding.
The first wedding was a Jewish ceremony that took place in San Antonio, Texas where Jefferson resides. Months later, the marriers held a traditional Hindu ceremony in Leicester, England, Mistry’s hometown. This is thought to be Britain’s first interfaith lesbian wedding.
Jefferson and Mistry both wore red and white, and sacred symbols of marriage, mangalsutras, around their neck along with fresh garlands.
“I grew up in a very traditional household, and really value the traditions and the culture.,” Mistry shared with Metro. “To me, I wanted to spend my life with someone, in a union.”
The wedding was celebrated with family and friends at Leciester’s Chutney Ivy restaurant.
Although the couple has been together over 20 years, it wasn’t until a few years ago that Mistry came out to her parents.
“I knew during my teenage years that I was (gay) and it was very difficult, trying to tell your friends and family and honor the traditions. . .It’s really nice to now have a Hindu wedding here, because it brings both of us together and completes both of us in my eyes.”
Jefferson and Mistry will be spending their married life together in Texas.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding
- Where to propose at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests
- 2023 LGBTQ+ wedding trends to watch for
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park