Judge Won’t Officiate Our Wedding—Should We Call it Off?
We were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this.
Q Well, we were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this. We need help! Our families have already made reservations at Holiday Valley. Do we need to scrap these plans?
A Dear John,
Please don’t cancel your wedding because of one homophobic man! New York is a kind and caring oasis of supportive and equality-minded wedding vendors, including officiants. We list several fantastic New York officiants in our Local Resources directory of gay-friendly wedding vendors, but I’m also going to open this up to all our readers so we can find someone perfect for your day.
EW readers, please comment below with recommendations for wedding officiants in the Western New York area who can help John and his fiance!
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief ofEqually Wed, an award-winning wedding and honeymoon magazine for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, queer and allied couples. Follow Kirsten on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write herwith your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married