Judge Won’t Officiate Our Wedding—Should We Call it Off?
We were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this.
Q Well, we were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this. We need help! Our families have already made reservations at Holiday Valley. Do we need to scrap these plans?
A Dear John,
Please don’t cancel your wedding because of one homophobic man! New York is a kind and caring oasis of supportive and equality-minded wedding vendors, including officiants. We list several fantastic New York officiants in our Local Resources directory of gay-friendly wedding vendors, but I’m also going to open this up to all our readers so we can find someone perfect for your day.
EW readers, please comment below with recommendations for wedding officiants in the Western New York area who can help John and his fiance!
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief ofEqually Wed, an award-winning wedding and honeymoon magazine for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, queer and allied couples. Follow Kirsten on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write herwith your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Celebrity wedding planner Colin Cowie marries Danny Peuscovich in outdoor luxury South Africa wedding
- Outdoor DIY fall wedding at the Solarium in Decatur, Georgia
- After 20 years, two grooms celebrate with whimsical winery wedding
- 4 things you can do if you can’t go on a honeymoon right after the wedding
- Allure Bridals introduces Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Collection
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study
- Carefree bohemian beach wedding in Pensacola, Florida
- Nautical summer beach wedding with Seinfeld theme
- Waterfront brewery elopement at The Piermont in Babylon, New York