Judge Won’t Officiate Our Wedding—Should We Call it Off?
We were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this.
Q Well, we were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this. We need help! Our families have already made reservations at Holiday Valley. Do we need to scrap these plans?
A Dear John,
Please don’t cancel your wedding because of one homophobic man! New York is a kind and caring oasis of supportive and equality-minded wedding vendors, including officiants. We list several fantastic New York officiants in our Local Resources directory of gay-friendly wedding vendors, but I’m also going to open this up to all our readers so we can find someone perfect for your day.
EW readers, please comment below with recommendations for wedding officiants in the Western New York area who can help John and his fiance!
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief ofEqually Wed, an award-winning wedding and honeymoon magazine for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, queer and allied couples. Follow Kirsten on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write herwith your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- St. Patrick’s Day weekend rooftop wedding in Atlanta, Georgia
- Spring engagement photos in Boston Public Garden
- Surprise engagement at Decatur Alpaca Cottage in Georgia
- Sunflower beach spring destination wedding in Isabela, Puerto Rico
- Reciprocal IVF was hard for our family, but it was the right decision
- Sherlock Holmes inspired moody wedding inspiration in France
- Blue and yellow spring wedding at the Lake Country Club
- Fun waterfront engagement photos on the coast of Lake Superior
- The US is denying citizenship to kids of same-sex couples born abroad
- Modern lush greenery wedding in Jacksonville, Florida