Judge Won’t Officiate Our Wedding—Should We Call it Off?
We were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this.
Q Well, we were excited about coming to New York to get married until the judge said he would not perform the ceremony because his Catholic priest cousin warned him against this. We need help! Our families have already made reservations at Holiday Valley. Do we need to scrap these plans?
A Dear John,
Please don’t cancel your wedding because of one homophobic man! New York is a kind and caring oasis of supportive and equality-minded wedding vendors, including officiants. We list several fantastic New York officiants in our Local Resources directory of gay-friendly wedding vendors, but I’m also going to open this up to all our readers so we can find someone perfect for your day.
EW readers, please comment below with recommendations for wedding officiants in the Western New York area who can help John and his fiance!
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief ofEqually Wed, an award-winning wedding and honeymoon magazine for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, queer and allied couples. Follow Kirsten on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write herwith your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal