Same-sex couples united in Atlanta for a special marriage ceremony.
Earlier in April, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta (as well as a few members from other Atlanta-area congrations) joined together to celebrate the love of committed LGBTQ couples in Georgia. The event was a movement in support of love, as well as a demonstration of Georgia’s willingness to stand by the sides of same-sex couples during the fight for marriage equality. Cindy Brown, Sharon McMahon and Ricky Leal were photographers at the event and witnessed (and captured) the commitment of 26 couples.
From photographer Cindy Brown:
To celebrate loving committed LGBTQ couples in Georgia who have married out of state or who are planning to marry, a special inter-denominational Love and Marriage Blessing Ceremony took place at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta on Sunday April 6, 2014.
The ministers of Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta (UUCA), joined by 11 ministers from other Atlanta-area congregations, demonstrated that in Georgia we are “Standing on the Side of Love” in support of marriage equality for LGBTQ Couples. The love and commitment of LGBTQ couples of all faiths was honored, with 26 couples participating in the event. The couples ranged in age from their 20s to 70s. The average length of the relationships being celebrated was 10.5 years; one couple had been together 39 years and there were several couples who had been together for 1 or 2 years. Twelve of the couples had already gone out of state to be legally married, while the remaining couples are waiting impatiently for marriage equality in Georgia or planning to travel out of state in the near future. Three of the couples had school-age children present while others were joined by adult children. The afternoon included a special ceremony to bless the LGBTQ couples along with music, readings and inspirational speakers. Tears of joy were shed during the emotional ceremony; the diverse group of couples filled the floor of UUCA’s unusual round sanctuary, while over 200 family, friends and allies surrounded the couples with love. A reception complete with wedding cake and a diverse assortment of cupcakes followed the ceremony.
Couples were offered the opportunity for professional photography services from Same Sex Wedding Photography. Some couples also created video testimonials about why marriage matters for them; these videos will be used by co-sponsor Georgia Equality’s initiative Why Marriage Matters. This event was held in conjunction with the Southerners in Support of Marriage Equality campaign which was launched recently in Atlanta.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal