Month-long wedding celebration in Chicago and Capetown
We are both independent and distinct individuals and we charted our own path when planning and executing our wedding. Early on we decided that our engagement would be less than one year long and that we would wed in December, commemorating the month in which we first met and also the month Desmond proposed. We both firmly believe that the ceremony is the most important element of the wedding and wanted to share this moment only with family. We opted for a city wedding officiated by a judge and conducted at the Chicago Cultural Center, which is a beautiful, historic and truly magnificent location in the city where we both live.
We wanted our individual style to shine through so we crafted our look to coordinate rather than match. We both wore solid blazers, patterned ties, patterned trousers, white shirts and white pocket squares. Desmond’s color pallet was navy blue and grey and mine was olive green and brown. The overall look was smart, cohesive and stylish, with a unique color that suited our individual preferences while also being balanced in appearance when standing side by side. Following the ceremony we hosted a traditional Italian feast bringing both families together to celebrate. The only traditional element of the entire day was the fact that we raced home after the celebration to grab our bags and head off on our honeymoon.
The holiday consisted of a 17 day African adventure visiting Cape Town, Victoria Falls Zimbabwe, Botswana safari and Johannesburg. When we returned to Chicago, we celebrated NY Eve and the following week friends began arriving for an amazing celebration dinner. We hosted a 7 course dinner at Spiaggia on January 7, 2017. The table was decorated with over 140 taper candles placed in our personal vintage candelabras that we acquired in Copenhagen. The flowers were planned and arranged by our mutual friend who simply filled the table with the most beautiful selection of white peonies which were elegantly yet simply displayed in individual bud vases. For this celebration we wore matching black Hugo Boss jackets, slim fit trousers, patent leather shoes and black grosgrain diamond tip bow ties. Since Desmond is a fan of the guitar, we hired a local guitarist to play pop and contemporary songs during our cocktail reception. After dinner the party continued at the rooftop lounge with great friends, amazing city views and vintage vinyl tunes.
From the photographer, Desmond and Robert held a small intimate ceremony with family at the Chicago Cultural Center in downtown Chicago on December 10th. They then jetted off to their honeymoon and when they returned hosted a dinner for 40 of their closest friends at Spiaggia on January 7th.
Photographer: Erin Hoyt Photography
Ceremony venue: Chicago Cultural Center
Reception venue: Spiaggia
Florist: Brian P. Starr
Entertainment: Chadwick Stadt
Attire: Hugo Boss
Cake designer: Bittersweet
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding
- Where to propose at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget