Daniel and Joseph took their engagement photos about two months before they actually got engaged when they visited the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana and did a photo shoot.
“There was a quiet moment in the French Quarter the day this picture was taken when we both began to secretly imagine forever. We met two years ago at Tulane—Daniel a New Orleans native, and I a Tulane alum happily back in my beloved New Orleans for work. Both of us performers, it was only a week before work took us in opposite directions.
But in those six days, we discovered something very special. Over the course of the next year, we were pen pals, writing detailed letters about the happenings of our lives, the matters of our hearts, our hopes and dreams—our pasts, presents and futures. When Daniel moved from New Orleans to New York in 2015, our lengthy letters turned into long dates, each one bringing us closer and helping us fall deeply in love.
Last May, Daniel was diagnosed with cancer, and after a quick and successful treatment, he temporarily moved into my apartment to convalesce. With the real-life practice of “in sickness and in health” behind us, we decided he should stay—playing house was simply too much fun! Several months later, on a hot October day in the Quarter, we posed for this picture. Not intending it to be an engagement photo, we became almost telepathically aware that we shared the hope and dream of building a life together. And when he asked, “So do you want to marry me?” I easily and joyfully said yes. Forever is a beautiful thing, isn’t it?” —from Joseph, one half of the couple
Photographer: The Red M Studio
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor