Pete and Chasten Buttigieg are parents!
On Tuesday, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and his husband Chasten announced on social media that they have become parents.
“For some time, Chasten and I have wanted to grow our family,” tweeted Pete, who is also the first ever out gay Senate-confirmed Cabinet member. “We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’re thankful for the love, support, and respect for our privacy that has been offered to us. We can’t wait to share more soon.”
For some time, Chasten and I have wanted to grow our family. We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’re thankful for the love, support, and respect for our privacy that has been offered to us. We can’t wait to share more soon.
— Pete Buttigieg (@PeteButtigieg) August 17, 2021
The happy couple has not revealed more details, but that has not stopped the Internet from rejoicing and sending well wishes. Many are also celebrating the visibility the Buttigieges will bring to LGBTQ+ families.
Congratulations, gents!! Blessings to your growing family ❤️🎉
— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) August 17, 2021
As gay dads of FIVE adopted kids, my husband @RobertCooper58 and I want to offer you and Chasten our heartfelt congrats!! We’re so happy for you both!! ❤️❤️
— Jon Cooper 🇺🇸 (@joncoopertweets) August 17, 2021
Congrats!!! So thrilled for you! ❤️🌈✨ Here’s our family. Thrilled to welcome you to fatherhood! https://t.co/S8VYm40F9p
— Scott Hadland, MD (@DrScottHadland) August 17, 2021
A July Washington Post profile of Chasten detailed the challenges the couple has experienced trying to adopt over the past year, a year that has involved parenting workshops, home studies, and birth parents changing their minds.
“It’s a really weird cycle of anger and frustration and hope,” Chasten said. “You think it’s finally happening and you get so excited, and then it’s gone.”
In the interview, he also imagined what he and Pete will someday tell their child: “We tried so hard for you. We waited so long for you.”
Congratulations to the growing family!
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings