On Tuesday, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and his husband Chasten announced on social media that they have become parents.
“For some time, Chasten and I have wanted to grow our family,” tweeted Pete, who is also the first ever out gay Senate-confirmed Cabinet member. “We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’re thankful for the love, support, and respect for our privacy that has been offered to us. We can’t wait to share more soon.”
For some time, Chasten and I have wanted to grow our family. We’re overjoyed to share that we’ve become parents! The process isn’t done yet and we’re thankful for the love, support, and respect for our privacy that has been offered to us. We can’t wait to share more soon.
— Pete Buttigieg (@PeteButtigieg) August 17, 2021
The happy couple has not revealed more details, but that has not stopped the Internet from rejoicing and sending well wishes. Many are also celebrating the visibility the Buttigieges will bring to LGBTQ+ families.
Congratulations, gents!! Blessings to your growing family ❤️🎉
— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) August 17, 2021
As gay dads of FIVE adopted kids, my husband @RobertCooper58 and I want to offer you and Chasten our heartfelt congrats!! We’re so happy for you both!! ❤️❤️
— Jon Cooper 🇺🇸 (@joncoopertweets) August 17, 2021
Congrats!!! So thrilled for you! ❤️🌈✨ Here’s our family. Thrilled to welcome you to fatherhood! https://t.co/S8VYm40F9p
— Scott Hadland, MD (@DrScottHadland) August 17, 2021
A July Washington Post profile of Chasten detailed the challenges the couple has experienced trying to adopt over the past year, a year that has involved parenting workshops, home studies, and birth parents changing their minds.
“It’s a really weird cycle of anger and frustration and hope,” Chasten said. “You think it’s finally happening and you get so excited, and then it’s gone.”
In the interview, he also imagined what he and Pete will someday tell their child: “We tried so hard for you. We waited so long for you.”
Congratulations to the growing family!
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas
- Say Yes to the Dress celebrity Randy Fenoli is engaged
- Tara and Emma’s purple and ivory wedding at Berkeley City Club in Berkeley, California
- The 19th Explains: Why the Respect for Marriage Act doesn’t codify same-sex marriage rights