Question and answer session with a married couple
Jonah and Simon: A question and answer session with a married couple
How did you meet?
Simon: We met through an online dating forum, but first met in person at a coffee shop in Houston.
Jonah: We met online and decided to meet in person at Agora. Simon was so handsome and a perfect gentleman. I remember at the end of the night he shook my hand and for the rest of the week, I couldn’t stop thinking about him.
Who proposed to who and how did you do it?
Simon: I proposed to Jonah. It was a complete surprise to him. I did it in the middle of winter (late December) on a freezing, snowy day in Calgary, while we were standing on the Peace Bridge and watching chunks of ice flow down the river below us.
Jonah: Simon proposed to me in Calgary, AB on the Peace Bridge.
What is each of your favorite (non-physical) trait about the other?
Simon: Jonah often goes out of his way to do unexpected, thoughtful things for others. His happy attitude is infectious for those around him. He is wonderful with kids and will be an amazing dad one day.
Jonah: He has the biggest heart of any person I know. He amazes me each day by his generosity and action towards helping others.
What is your favorite thing to do together?
Simon: Travelling and exploring new places. Hiking. Watching The Amazing Race, Game of Thrones, and The Walking Dead together (Jonah gets so into these shows, his palms start sweating!).
Jonah: Watch Game of Thrones or the Amazing Race. I love to do anything with Simon. He’s always fun.
Simon: Anything science fiction, Marvel or DC superhero movies, and action movies with awesome special effects. I also have an inexplicable love of the movie Muriel’s Wedding.
Jonah: The Notebook, 50 First Dates, The Joy Luck Club.
Simon: Yep, our movie tastes couldn’t be more different! I’m so thankful he still watches the movies I love with me!
Simon: Pretty much anything except metal and country. Mostly into alternative.? But I’m a sucker for 80s pop.
Jonah: Celine Dion, Rascal Flatts, Maroon 5, Bryan Adams… I like pop and country.
Simon: So I’ve had to become a lot more tolerant of country!
Anything else you like to do as a couple (or anything one of you is super into)?
Simon: I love adventure activities! Jonah is more intimidated by such things but is willing to step outside his comfort zone. I’m super into anything geological (duh, I’m a geologist!) and have converted Jonah to a love of minerals and crystals!
Jonah: We like to travel and Simon likes it when I conquer my fears.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day