Sunset New York City wedding filled with red roses
Gesy and Erica’s Brooklyn wedding was thirteen years in the making. The couple got engaged back in 2006, after they had been together for six months. They finally tied the knot in a romantic sunset ceremony with views of the New York City skyline.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Take your time in your relationship. You don’t have to rush to get married just because you’re engaged. Enjoy and learn about each other on a deeper level. Talk about the “what ifs.” For, example what if I get paralyzed and/or sick are you going to hold me down?
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
We are like any other heterosexual couple. Treat us the same way you would treat them.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Honestly we didn’t come across any challenges regarding planning our wedding. The only challenge was that Erica’s dad did not attend the wedding or walk her down the aisle. Most of Erica’s family did not attend the wedding because they do not agree with same sex marriage.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
We were very surprised that we didn’t have any issues with vendors.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Le Image
Venue: Giando on the Water
Florist: 13th Avenue Florist
Videographer: Le Image
Caterer: Giando on the Water
Cake: Delicioso Cakes
Officiant: Ghislaine Leon
Equipment Rentals: Rent 4 Parties
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Should I invite my ex to my wedding?
- Intimate forest wedding brings South Asian interfaith traditions to Ontario
- Documentary-style candids highlight moments of everyday love for this newly engaged couple
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas