Sydney, Australia, microwedding with neighborhood pub reception
After a four-month engagement, Joel and Thomas married in a Sydney, Australia, microwedding. Sporting patterned jackets and slacks in colors of navy, green, tan and gray, the fashionable grooms walked down the aisle together and wed under a LOVE sign and floral wedding arch in a venue with max capacity set at 12. Afterward, the newlywed husbands strolled through the Royal Botanic Gardens and Sydney harbour at sunset. The next night, they hosted a relaxed reception at a neighborhood pub where Joel and Thomas gathered with close friends and family for a celebratory light meal, drinks and cake.
ADVICE FOR ENGAGED LGBTQ+ COUPLES
We are in a rare historical moment where we have the chance to shape tradition and forge new ways of celebrating marriage. Get creative! Don’t let tradition shape everything about your wedding, and have fun doing it!
DID YOU ENCOUNTER ANY CHALLENGES AS AN LGBTQ+ COUPLE PLANNING YOUR WEDDING?
While it was fun throwing tradition out the window and making our own creative plans, it was often hard to come up with the energy to creatively problem solve. For example, we are both Christian and would have loved to get married in a church with a pastor of our choosing. This wasn’t possible for us, so we got brain storming and thought of alternatives which were just as special, and held extra meaning for us personally.
HOW ABOUT ANY PLEASANT SURPRISES AS AN LGBTQ+ COUPLE PLANNING YOUR WEDDING?
It was SUCH a joy planning the wedding. For us, it was exciting doing it together, and we loved the chance to get to know each other in new and exciting ways. We were also pleasantly surprised by how excited people were when we told them it was our wedding. People are so eager to share joy and it is abundantly infectious!
Photographer: Chris Gray Photomedia
Ceremony + Officiant: NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Reception + Catering: 3 Weeds Rozelle
Attire (for both): Brent Wilson
Jewelry: Designed by couple and cast at Palloys
Cake Designer: Andy Bowdy Pastry
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL