Taiwan proposes the first same-sex marriage law in Asia
Taiwan made history by presenting Asia’s first same-sex marriage bill, draft legislation that would grant same-sex couples similar legal protections to heterosexual couples, according to Reuters. Taiwan’s parliament is set to vote on the draft legislation, Act No. 748, by late May.
Taiwan’s Constitutional Court voted to legalize same-sex marriage in 2017 and the government was given until May 2017 to implement the ruling.
“I also want to say to fellow countrymen, whether you are heterosexual or gay, we are all in the same country, we all together live in this land… and I sincerely expect everyone, to be inclusive and accept each other’s difference, and to be good and to treat each other well. [Let’s] make Taiwan a country of mutual respect, and be friendly with each other,” Premier Su Tseng-chang, who is in charge of Taiwan’s cabinet, wrote on Facebook.
Jennifer Lu, the coordinator of Marriage Equality Coalition Taiwan, says that the draft does not give complete legal protections to same-sex couples. She says that activists will continue to fight for equal rights.
Last year, Thailand’s government backed a bill to recognize same-sex civil partnerships, which will now need parliamentary approval.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL