Taiwan proposes the first same-sex marriage law in Asia
Taiwan made history by presenting Asia’s first same-sex marriage bill, draft legislation that would grant same-sex couples similar legal protections to heterosexual couples, according to Reuters. Taiwan’s parliament is set to vote on the draft legislation, Act No. 748, by late May.
Taiwan’s Constitutional Court voted to legalize same-sex marriage in 2017 and the government was given until May 2017 to implement the ruling.
“I also want to say to fellow countrymen, whether you are heterosexual or gay, we are all in the same country, we all together live in this land… and I sincerely expect everyone, to be inclusive and accept each other’s difference, and to be good and to treat each other well. [Let’s] make Taiwan a country of mutual respect, and be friendly with each other,” Premier Su Tseng-chang, who is in charge of Taiwan’s cabinet, wrote on Facebook.
Jennifer Lu, the coordinator of Marriage Equality Coalition Taiwan, says that the draft does not give complete legal protections to same-sex couples. She says that activists will continue to fight for equal rights.
Last year, Thailand’s government backed a bill to recognize same-sex civil partnerships, which will now need parliamentary approval.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot