Texas couple elopes to LGBTQ+ friendly New Zealand and their warm, moody beach wedding photos are to die for
The beauty of our elopement was there was no theme. No time constraints, no schedule—just us, our love and all things spontaneous. We wanted our wedding to reflect our love and the incredible country we chose. Wild, unexpected, and unique. We got just that. This once-in-a-lifetime experience couldn’t have been more genuine and magical.
Lauren and Melissa traveled from Fort Worth, Texas, to elope in Auckland, New Zealand, after a 10-month-long engagement. They both proposed to each other, and Lauren proposed first. They exchanged vows on Piha Beach and their first dance was to “I Belong To You” by Brandi Carlile.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Lauren: Do whatever feels authentically you! Always remember, it’s your wedding day. Don’t do anything for anyone but you and your partner. You only get this time once, it goes by so quickly. Enjoy every second.
Melissa: Do not make it a priority to please everyone else. You and yours should always come first.
SEARCH FOR LGBTQ+ FRIENDLY WEDDING VENDORS
Photographer: Dawn Photo
Ceremony Venue: Auckland District Court
Reception Venue: Piha Beach
Attire: Madison James & J. Crew
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to celebrate International Transgender Day of Visibility
- A winter wedding in Orlando, Florida, celebrating two brides and their son with a spiritual ceremony and vegan cake
- Lizzo and YITTY launch a gender-neutral shapewear line
- This destination elopement in Central Park featured couture velvet suit jackets and Star Wars cufflinks
- In celebration and memory of LGBTQ+ icon Paul O’Grady
- From a New York first date to a New Orleans fall LGBTQ+ wedding with a second line and Polaroid guest book
- Yes, you should schedule an engagement photoshoot!
- These grooms walked down the aisle together with their dog in their outdoor Savannah, Georgia, LGBTQ+ wedding