Texas couple elopes to LGBTQ+ friendly New Zealand and their warm, moody beach wedding photos are to die for
The beauty of our elopement was there was no theme. No time constraints, no schedule—just us, our love and all things spontaneous. We wanted our wedding to reflect our love and the incredible country we chose. Wild, unexpected, and unique. We got just that. This once-in-a-lifetime experience couldn’t have been more genuine and magical.
Lauren and Melissa traveled from Fort Worth, Texas, to elope in Auckland, New Zealand, after a 10-month-long engagement. They both proposed to each other, and Lauren proposed first. They exchanged vows on Piha Beach and their first dance was to “I Belong To You” by Brandi Carlile.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Lauren: Do whatever feels authentically you! Always remember, it’s your wedding day. Don’t do anything for anyone but you and your partner. You only get this time once, it goes by so quickly. Enjoy every second.
Melissa: Do not make it a priority to please everyone else. You and yours should always come first.
Photographer: Dawn Photo
Ceremony Venue: Auckland District Court
Reception Venue: Piha Beach
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- On the first day of same-sex marriage in Taiwan, 157 couples will wed
- Here’s everything you need to include on your wedding website
- These are the top destinations for LGBTQ+ Pride events this year
- 11 wedding hats that will make your day as dapper as possible
- Should you both propose? 4 questions to consider before asking
- This fall countryside wedding has all the moody, romantic vibes you need
- 5 spring weddings we love that make great seasonal inspiration
- This romantic fall wedding has some seriously gorgeous foliage
- 5 things I’ve learned about LGBTQ+ weddings as an Equally Wed editor
- Tropical destination white beach wedding in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico