The guests wore white at this South Carolina wedding
Ian and Michael say their Charleston, South Carolina wedding struck “a perfect balance between southern, elegant and grandiose” and “minimal, bold and purposeful.”
“We chose The Governor Thomas Bennett House,” they continued, “because we wanted to bring the gardens of the location inside for a modern, flowerless aesthetic to marry the old and new. Since there was no bride, we honored our mothers and all the strong women in our lives with elegant white attire required as black, gold, and green accents bounced off the formal white gowns.”
Who walked down the aisle and with whom?
Ian first walked from the second floor of the venue with his mother to the fountain in front of the aisle. Michael then did the same with his mother and father. The three parents lit a candle signifying all those who were not present before Michael’s father walked the mothers down the aisle. Michael and Ian then walked together down the aisle.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Problems are going to happen that are unexpected. Don’t dwell on it. Instead, use each other as inspiration to find alternatives because it will be better than what y’all initially planned.
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Make sure any documents or questionnaires sent to the couple are modified for the couple. There was nothing more disappointing than receiving something that included questions for the bride when the wedding had no bride.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Pricing. We apparently have very expensive taste, so it took a lot of research and working together to find alternatives to what we wanted. But it was a great challenge.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Cameron Hinkle Photography
Florist: Vero Designs
Planner: Fox Events, Liz Cole Carbone & Lauren Fox
Band: Emerald Empire Band
Invitations: SAS-E Ink
Attire: Berlin’s For Men
Videographer: Fig Jam Studio
Caterer: Harvest Catering
Hair & Makeup: Largo Salon
Neon Sign and Backdrop: J.Lily Designs
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples