This surprise proposal Las Vegas style will make you happy cry
Last year I shot a wedding for the most fabulous couple and was blessed to meet their most amazing friends and family, including Ray and Justin. Ray was one of the groomsmen, and after a few short minutes of chatting with him and his adorable boyfriend Justin, I was just in love with them. You could absolutely see how utterly perfect they were together, and I actually joked with them several times throughout the day about how “they were next” to get married.
Ray let me know that day that when he was ready to pop the question, he would be sure to let me know so that I could capture the proposal. Fast forward six months and I got a message with a picture of a stunning gold and sapphire ring, letting me know that the time was coming.
Ray let me know that he was having a birthday party at the Mandalay Bay in Last Vegas and that he wanted to surprise Justin at the birthday party and propose to him there. I was so excited! Ray booked my husband and me a room to come up for the weekend and our bags were packed.
When we arrived, I was a bit nervous that Justin would figure it out, and think that it was strange that I came all the way up to Vegas for just a “regular” birthday (it wasn’t a typical big 40th celebration or anything). So when I saw him, I let him know we were so excited to see them again and have fun in Vegas for Ray’s birthday!
It was about halfway through the yummiest brunch ever and it was time. Ray got up and pretended he needed to use the restroom and then got down on one knee and professed his everlasting love to Justin! It was perfection. There in front of 30 of their closest cheering family and friends, Justin said I do, and it was official—they were engaged!
As I was snapping away and went in to give the boys a big hug and kiss, Justin said, “I knew it! I knew it was crazy that you came up for this. But then, after all, we all know that Ray is extra, so it didn’t surprise me that he would have a photographer here for his own birthday!” We finished off the day toasting with a lot of tastily flavored mimosas.
Photographer: Chrissy Gilmartin Photography
Other Location: Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos
- My husband and I honeymooned in South Africa. Here’s why we loved it
- Tropical blue and green beach wedding in St. Petersburg, Florida
- 6 real weddings that will get you in a cozy mood for the holidays
- How we organized our wedding party from across the country
- How my family lives a minimalist lifestyle so we can travel