This surprise proposal Las Vegas style will make you happy cry
Last year I shot a wedding for the most fabulous couple and was blessed to meet their most amazing friends and family, including Ray and Justin. Ray was one of the groomsmen, and after a few short minutes of chatting with him and his adorable boyfriend Justin, I was just in love with them. You could absolutely see how utterly perfect they were together, and I actually joked with them several times throughout the day about how “they were next” to get married.
Ray let me know that day that when he was ready to pop the question, he would be sure to let me know so that I could capture the proposal. Fast forward six months and I got a message with a picture of a stunning gold and sapphire ring, letting me know that the time was coming.
Ray let me know that he was having a birthday party at the Mandalay Bay in Last Vegas and that he wanted to surprise Justin at the birthday party and propose to him there. I was so excited! Ray booked my husband and me a room to come up for the weekend and our bags were packed.
When we arrived, I was a bit nervous that Justin would figure it out, and think that it was strange that I came all the way up to Vegas for just a “regular” birthday (it wasn’t a typical big 40th celebration or anything). So when I saw him, I let him know we were so excited to see them again and have fun in Vegas for Ray’s birthday!
It was about halfway through the yummiest brunch ever and it was time. Ray got up and pretended he needed to use the restroom and then got down on one knee and professed his everlasting love to Justin! It was perfection. There in front of 30 of their closest cheering family and friends, Justin said I do, and it was official—they were engaged!
As I was snapping away and went in to give the boys a big hug and kiss, Justin said, “I knew it! I knew it was crazy that you came up for this. But then, after all, we all know that Ray is extra, so it didn’t surprise me that he would have a photographer here for his own birthday!” We finished off the day toasting with a lot of tastily flavored mimosas.
Photographer: Chrissy Gilmartin Photography
Other Location: Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot