When David and Peter first mentioned they had planned to be married shortly after celebrating 20 years of partnership, I immediately inserted myself into their wedding plans assuming that I’d be their obvious choice for a photographer. (Yes, quite bold of me). They shared with me the story of how they met, and how their relationship unfolded. That night – even after 19 years of being together – I could see how in love they were and it gave me goosebumps.
Fast forward several months and they were getting into full wedding planning mode. They’d chosen a 1920’s theme for their wedding (swoon!) and wanted the event to be a fun, casual evening with heavy appetizers from my favorite caterer Culinary Infusion at Circa on Seventh. Their family and friends were provided the coolest invite, complete with style guide – so they could dress the part for the celebration. These two are host-extraordinaires, throwing amazing annual parties at their home, so it was no surprise that they wanted to be prepared to greet and welcome each one of their guests as they arrived. It was also a perfect opportunity to catch a photo of everyone with the couple in their fancy attire. It was one of the best dressed weddings I’ve ever been to! Thanks to Bjorns in Kenosha – who were undoubtedly busy this past week with fittings, while the grooms had their tuxes custom made from Indochino’s in Chicago.
After everyone arrived and got settled in, the grooms proceeded to the landing at Circa where their close friend officiated the ceremony. It was short, personal and perfect. Guests applauded and cheered multiple times, and it goes to show, that no matter how long two people have been together, a wedding celebration always initiates a renewed sense of joy and love among all who are present.
The John Crawford Jazz Band entertained guests until after dinner (and dessert from Robin’s Next Cakery), when the DJ took over, and the dancing began.
From the photographer, Shannon Zastoupil
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- If you’re thinking of proposing, here are 8 ways to pop the question
- Wife Swap will have its first episode featuring black gay dads
- What our editors are reading & loving on April 24, 2019
- Romantic beach engagement photos on the Oregon Coast
- 19 LGBTQ+ inclusive Texas wedding vendors save the day for two grooms rejected by bigoted venue
- LGBTQ-friendly wedding planning apps you need to try
- On the first day of same-sex marriage in Taiwan, 157 couples will wed
- Here’s everything you need to include on your wedding website
- These are the top destinations for LGBTQ+ Pride events this year
- 11 wedding hats that will make your day as dapper as possible