Wedding dresses used to be a strictly white fashion choice, with ivory varying away from the norm. Now in 2018, black wedding dresses are in, making more frequent appearances on the runways of New York Bridal Market.
The style is rising even further to the forefront of fashion after the 2018 Golden Globes. Everyone from nominees to presenters wore black as they graced the red carpet in solidarity with the #Timesup movement.
“Powered by women, TIME’S UP addresses the systemic inequality and injustice in the workplace that have kept underrepresented groups from reaching their full potential,” shares the official Time’s Up website. “We partner with leading advocates for equality and safety to improve laws, employment agreements, and corporate policies; help change the face of corporate boardrooms and the C-suite; and enable more women and men to access our legal system to hold wrongdoers accountable.”
From runway to red carpet, 2018 is the year of making bold, confident fashion choices. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite styles that will really make you consider skipping that white dress.
All black wedding dresses
Black is the new black. This always in style color makes the perfect choice for wedding dresses that can be worn again or repurposed for another event.
Just a hint
If you love black but thought of your attire being completely black feels a bit too gothic for you, infuse black using accessories or mix-and-match, multi-piece styles.
Golden Globes inspiration
These red carpet fashions might make you want to go black for your wedding day if you aren’t already sold on the fashion statement. You can even turn your wedding day into a platform to spread the Time’s Up message to your guests if you choose.
Let your attendants get in on the fun too by sporting black attire for your big day. The cast of Stranger Things on the Golden Globes red carpet is the perfect example of how you can look great in black no matter what age you are or what your style is.
On top of attire, black is popping up in many other places at weddings. It’s even been seen making its way into edible form with black wedding cakes!
Share your thoughts with us. Are you ready to take the all-black wedding attire plunge, or is another dress more for you?
Featured image by Tracey Buyce
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration