It is important to remember that there are no rules to follow when planning your special day. Just because tradition calls for a “flower girl,” doesn’t mean that’s the only way to adorn your aisle before you and your partner walk down it.
In fact, if you start to think outside the box, the possibilities are truly endless.
If you’re looking for inspiration, these five weddings threw the rulebook out the window and put their own spin on the flower attendant role.
A Mom Duo
Jimmy and Steve’s butterfly-themed wedding included their two moms walking down the aisle together as flower attendants and tossing petals over all the guests. If you don’t plan to have your parents walk you down the aisle, why not include them in this unique way that also symbolizes two families coming together?
Themed Flower Attendants
This styled shoot imagined a wedding with a dark and moody Greek mythology theme. Real-life couple Kevin and Trinell represented the Gods Hades and Persis and were accompanied by three flower girls wearing black capes who represented the three fates.
Of course, any themed wedding could involve a reimagined, in-theme flower attendant.
Marisa and Courtney didn’t want their four-legged family members left out of their Florida beach wedding. So, their two dogs acted as the cutest and fluffiest flower attendants.
A Flowerless Flower Girl
You don’t even need someone to spread flowers if that doesn’t feel like the right choice for you. James and Bryan elected their “flower” girl to carry a beautiful lantern down the aisle instead.
Honoring A Cultural Tradition
For Jeanelle and Jane’s wedding, which focused on honoring both Ghanaian and African-American culture, they opted to have a sage bearer walk down the aisle instead of a flower attendant.
The “flower” attendant role is a great one to morph into something that honors the culture and traditions your wedding is celebrating.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas
- Say Yes to the Dress celebrity Randy Fenoli is engaged
- Tara and Emma’s purple and ivory wedding at Berkeley City Club in Berkeley, California
- The 19th Explains: Why the Respect for Marriage Act doesn’t codify same-sex marriage rights