7 fall engagement and wedding photo ideas
Autumn is in full swing, and that means you’re probably already planning your fall engagement or wedding photos! You’ve likely set the date already and are at the point now where you’re looking for last minute inspiration. What poses should you and your partner do? Is the location you chose the best spot for fall foliage in your area, or should you be spontaneous? What colors should your accessories and jewelry be?
If you’re prepping for fall photos, no matter the occasion, here are some tips and ideas.
Get cozy in nature.
There’s no better time to get outside than for fall photos. If you live or are traveling to a colder climate, you can use it as an opportunity to bring blankets, scarves, jackets, or hats and cozy up with your partner.
Take a hike.
Autumn is great for hiking, and hikes are the perfect location for photos. Whether you and your partner are serious hikers or more interested in a casual stroll with some leaf peeping, the photos will really reflect who you are and how you spend time together.
Go apple picking.
You can literally take your engagement shoot to an apple orchard, or just incorporate apples into your session or wedding. And you can use all your leftover apples to cook and bake together to celebrate the season!
Get dressed up.
View this post on Instagram
Some inspiration for Autumn/Winter weddings and the Halloween season – a black wedding dress styled shoot ft @everprettydress on @casieconwayisrad & I, now on FFF (link in bio and explore new blog posts!) photo: @bleudogfotography // TAP THE PHOTO FOR THE AMAZING TEAM!! . . . . . #weddingstyledshoot #styledshoot #bridalshoot #blackweddingdress #weddinggowns #bridalgowns #bridalstyledshoot #bridalinspiration #fallwedding #autumnwedding #halloweenwedding #bridestyle
A post shared by Amanda Nguyen (@feastfashionfaves) on
Even if your event or photo session isn’t Halloween themed, that doesn’t mean you can’t dress up. Leave room for a little seasonal whimsy and magic in your day. You can pair an elegant or classic dress or tuxedo with more flavorful accessories, like a crystal crown or a tiny top hat.
Have seasonally thematic flowers.
The colors of the season definitely belong in your bouquet and other floral accents. If you’re prepping for a photo session, smaller wedding, or an elopement, you can sprinkle them in more sporadically for a pop of color.
Invite your furry friends.
View this post on Instagram
Today, we became a legal family! I finally became a husband to the best husband in the whole world! I can’t imagine my life without these two! A huge THANK YOU to those who have and do fight for gay rights, it is not lost on us how incredibly lucky we are! Also a huge THANK YOU to our families for making this day amazing, and for those who came and supported us! #loveislove #husbands #gayhusbands #gay #gaymarrage #mrandmr #gaywedding
A post shared by Jeremiah (@outdoor_gasam) on
This is really a recommendation year-round, because who doesn’t want their furry best friend in their photos? It’s even more fun in the fall, though—imagine your dog leaping through a leaf pile with you and your partner, or holding your black cat against a backdrop of fall foliage. Perfection.
View this post on Instagram
Can’t stop won’t stop with these cute human beings. 😍 . . . . . #junebugweddings #greenweddingshoes #lgbtwedding #weddingphotomag #urbanweddings #pnwweddingphotographer #northwestwedding #seattlewedding #samesexwedding #artfullywed #shesaidyes #seattleweddingphotographer #radlovestories #adventurebrides #theknotpro #offbeatbride #huffpostido #seattlebride #seattlemetbrideandgroom #theknot #juliakinnunenphotography #loveislove #seattleengagementphotographer #weddinging #dancingwithher #seattleweddingphotography #bridestobe #gaywedding #justengaged #theknotrealweddings
A post shared by Julia Kinnunen Photography (@jwkinnunen) on
Channel your fall mood by wearing black for the photos. Even if you’re planning to wear a more traditional white dress on the wedding day, you could plan for some casual shots leading up to the day and get out your best black attire for the occasion. Or you can add some autumnal mystery to your look with black jewelry and accessories.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake