Colorado Bakery Supports LGBTQ Equality, Refuses to Make Anti-Gay Cake [VIDEO]
We’re usually telling you about equality-minded wedding bakers who are actively submitting their weddings to us of LGBTQ couples or homophobic businesses flat out refusing it. But this is a new type of headline we’re delighted to report on!
A Colorado bakery refused to write an inflammatory anti-gay message on a cake and the customer promptly filed a complaint against it.
Owner Marjorie Silva of Azucar Bakery in Denver, Colorado, said a customer asked for a Bible-shaped cake with the words “God hates gays” written on it. The customer canceled the order, then filed a religious discrimination complaint.
“It’s unfair that he’s accusing me of discriminating when I think he was the one that is discriminating,” Silva told NBC affiliate KUSA.
After you watch the video, please also take action. This brave woman is now also in a court battle, and has had to hire a lawyer. She’s a small business owner, and her Go Fund Me page has already taken a life of its own. On it, she pledges to use the funds for fighting this legal battle. Let’s show her and the world we believe in standing up for what’s right. We need more Marjorie Silvas. What do you think of this story? Weigh in below with your comments.
Watch the Hot Topics news video below:
Photo: Courtesy of Azucar Bakery
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Thai activists continue to fight for marriage equality after court rules against it
- Stunning adventure elopement at Oregon’s Mt. Hood
- Youtuber Cammie Scott proposes to girlfriend in epic ode to 10 Things I Hate About You
- 5 of our favorite LGBTQ celebrity engagements of 2021
- Romantic Zoom wedding eight years in the making
- Seaside South Carolina proposal on horseback
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden