Gay United Methodist pastor says he will officiate same-sex weddings
Openly gay United Methodist pastor Mark Thompson from Lansing, Michigan, plans to officiate same-sex weddings despite the penalties that clergy will face for doing so, according to WKAR.
Thompson, 61, is a minister at Central United Methodist Church in Lansing and he says he’s been out as gay for 10 years. Church rules prohibit him from being in a same-sex relationship.
The United Methodist Church recently approved harsher penalties for clergy who officiate same-sex marriages or have same-sex relationships, but Thompson says he’s going to perform ceremonies regardless of the rule.
“I need to do that because I need to be able to treat people with equity. I do that in every other part of my life,” he tells WKAR. He plans to retire next year and pursue a romantic relationship then.
The Judicial Council of the United Methodist Church will vote on the constitutionality of the new plan in April.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings