Jamie Lee Curtis is making a movie about stand-in moms at gay weddings
Sara Cunningham, a mother from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and founder of the nonprofit Free Mom Hugs, went viral last summer when she posted on Facebook that she would be a stand-in mom for people whose own mothers refused to attend their weddings because of their sexuality. Now Jamie Lee Curtis has bought the rights to Cunningham’s 2014 memoir, How We Sleep At Night, about how she came to terms with her son’s sexuality, according to the Washington Post.
Curtis plans to make a movie about Cunningham. She spent three days in September with her family and was moved by her story, and posted a photo of herself and Cunningham together—which caused fans to speculate about a potential movie months before the news was revealed.
“I was moved by her journey,” Curtis tells the Washington Post. “And I continue to be thrilled as her movement is catching on. I hope to do justice to her story and the story of so many marginalized people in the LGBTQ community.”
As Cunningham wrote in her original Facebook post: “PSA. If you need a mom to attend your same-sex wedding because your biological mom won’t, call me. I’m there. I’ll be your biggest fan. I’ll even bring the bubbles.”
She was a stand-in mom in at her first wedding this past November and has three other LGBTQ+ weddings booked for 2019. She’s also officiated the weddings of almost a dozen couples in Oklahoma, Texas and Mississippi.
“I never dreamed that something I posted out of frustration would take off like this,” she tells the Post. “But I’m glad that it did. I’ve been hearing from lots of other parents who are also willing to ‘stand up and stand in.'”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal