Mystical surprise proposal inside a Mexican cenote
Kim and Drew boarded a plane and headed to the Riviera Maya for an interesting and eventful week-long vacation. Once they touched the ground, they headed for Tulum, Mexico. Kim selected a gorgeous hotel that is also a hotspot for locals, Papaya Playa Project.
In between breakfast and walks on the beach, Kim talked Drew into doing a photo session during their vacation. The next morning, they drove almost an hour to meet their photographers, and then journeyed another twenty minutes into the jungle, both of them clueless as to where they were headed. They only knew they had requested photos in a cenote. They arrived and immediately fell in love with the location. The photo session began outside the cenote taking advantage of the walls, hanging vines, and beautiful colors.
Everyone was happy with the session and as the session was ending, the couple came upon a Shaman who was who was going to make a morning blessing in one of the cenotes. The Shaman invited Drew and Kim, and they eagerly accepted while grinning from ear to ear. They were led down into a dark entrance into a magnificent cave with a cenote inside. As they entered the hole, the darkness was lit by candlelight and a gorgeous beam of sunlight shooting across the cave from above.
There were flowers on the floor, next to a bountiful altar, and the Shaman began to explain. Drew and Kim could feel the energy as the Shaman continued speaking and introduced a very powerful ritual based on the four elements. The Shaman handed Kim a letter and asked her to read it, stating that it was a message from the gods.
Much to Drew’s surprise, the letter contained Kim’s words. And after an emotional attempt for Kim to deliver her message, only gifts remained. The Shaman handed it to Drew. Drew unfolded the cloth in disbelief, and when her eyes landed on the ring, Kim dropped to her knees.
The rest of the session was a celebration of their love and they met up with the photographers the day after for an engagement session at their hotel.
Photographer: Quetzal Wedding Photo
Venue: Papaya Playa Project
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Outdoor DIY fall wedding at the Solarium in Decatur, Georgia
- After 20 years, two grooms celebrate with whimsical winery wedding
- 4 things you can do if you can’t go on a honeymoon right after the wedding
- Allure Bridals introduces Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Collection
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study
- Carefree bohemian beach wedding in Pensacola, Florida
- Nautical summer beach wedding with Seinfeld theme
- Waterfront brewery elopement at The Piermont in Babylon, New York
- Whimsical, rustic waterfront wedding in San Diego, California