Sparkling wedding in Mexico beneath an ancient tree
Houston couple Pedro and Gerardo’s beautiful wedding took place in an ancient hacienda in Mérida, Mexico.
“The wedding was PERFECT,” they write. “Everyone had a blast…family, friends, and ourselves. There was a lot of happiness, dancing, and tons of Mezcal. It was a beautiful event that brought people together from the Unites States, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, and France. Every guest has reached out to us to let us know how much fun they had, and how beautiful everything was.”
Tell us your love story!
We met in Houston, Texas while preparing for our medical exam boards. Pedro Emilio thought that Jerry was very respectful and chivalrous. Jerry invited Pedro Emilio to a coffee and that’s when the love started. Jerry’s first impression of PE was just awe of how handsome he was. We both thought to ourselves, “Hmmm this guy is definitely boyfriend material.” We went out for dinner the next day and never separated since. We dated for two years before getting married and lived together for a whole year before the wedding so we were sure we belonged together.
What colors were used in your wedding?
The decor was amazing. Again, we tried to be very mindful of reflecting our taste. This was two men being married and there aren’t written protocol (yet) for gay weddings. So we chose tones of white flowers with green foliage.
Tell us about the ceremony
It was under an ancient tree, so it was just spectacular. The ceremony was led by both of our young brothers. We decided not to have a best men or women. No dance with parents. We wanted to keep it simple. After the ceremony under a 200 year old tree, we headed to the dance floor and danced a slow dance.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Have a wedding planner!! Tailor Made Dreams made it very easy from the beginning of the planning process. They were very approachable and responsive. They always put our interests and decisions first and gave us realistic and honest guidance and recommendations. They assured us that their priority was for us to have a fun and memorable day. They were very flexible to always meet with us for the Skype calls, phone calls, and trips to Mérida to visit haciendas.
When we travelled to Mérida to go “hacienda hunting” for our reception, we had a blast with them! It felt like a road trip with friends and the stress was definitely not present. All details were planned from Houston, so many miles away, but they made us feel present and were very detail oriented and transparent. Our wedding was perfect and we still can’t believe we pulled it off with just one trip to Mexico.
On that same trip that we looked for the perfect hacienda, Fernanda also planned the food tastings from different caterers, we met the florist, and it was all perfect. They were extremely efficient and spot-on to grasping our ideas on what style of wedding we wanted.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
The planning process was definitely FUN. We never expected to have so much fun. We were never stressed, Fernanda really took care of EVERYTHING. We have even joked that we want to repeat the same wedding for our 5-year anniversary because 10 years just seems to far away, and we want to repeat it.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Black Hat Studio
Venue: Hacienda Temchen
Planner: Tailor Made Dreams
DJ: Kinetic Events
Videographer: Tent Films
Wedding PR: My Planner Journal
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning adventure elopement at Oregon’s Mt. Hood
- Youtuber Cammie Scott proposes to girlfriend in epic ode to 10 Things I Hate About You
- 5 of our favorite LGBTQ celebrity engagements of 2021
- Romantic Zoom wedding eight years in the making
- Seaside South Carolina proposal on horseback
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca