Spring countryside wedding with Mexican traditions
How did you and your partner meet?
Jonathan: Manny and I met on OkCupid. He was new to North Carolina as he had recently moved here from Texas to pursue a Ph.D. at UNC-Chapel Hill. We started talking and discovered our mutual love for sports. We decided to go to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game together as our first date. We’ve been essentially inseparable ever since.
Tell us about the engagement.
It was December 3, 2017, and I had been in New York for business and was traveling back on a Sunday morning. When I got to the airport, the car service picked me up, and I remembered thinking, “Why is Manny not picking me up from the airport, it’s a Sunday.” I was a little annoyed because it was early, and I thought he was being lazy. When I got home, there was a note on the door saying to come in as there was a surprise waiting. Manny had turned the downstairs area of our home into a Christmas maze for me to walk through with pictures of us together, notes for me, flowers and more. When I got through the maze, Manny was standing by the fireplace with our dogs, a ring and a beautiful sign that said, “Jonathan, will you marry me?”
Describe the highlight moment of your wedding day.
We chose not to see each other the entire day before the ceremony. I think we were both stressed and nervous, but we met at the door and walked down the aisle together hand-in-hand. I think walking toward each other and walking down the aisle together was definitely the highlight of our day and was a special time for both of us. Everyone commented throughout the evening how much they loved that with many saying that they teared up.
What was the biggest surprise of the day?
Manny had planned a surprise where he had his cousin and a close friend sing an acoustic version of Elvis’ song, “Can’t Help Falling in Love.” I had wanted that song to be played at the reception, but to dance to it being sung live was wonderful. I had no idea this was going to happen! Generally, I hate surprises as they cause me nothing but anxiety, however, this was very sweet and the fact that he pulled the whole thing off without me knowing was very special.
Manny and Jonathan had a spring countryside wedding in March. Manny is from Mexico, so they chose to incorporate many traditional Mexican elements into their day. They had a traditional wedding Lazo, also known as a lasso, which is part of all Mexican weddings. This symbolic cord represents the commitment and love that the couple has promised each other.
The couple chose not to see each other before the ceremony and saw each other for the first time right as they met to walk down the aisle. Instead of being walked down the aisle by their parents, they met at the entrance to the ceremony and walked in together.
Photographer: Krystal Kast Photographers
Venue and Catering: The Fearrington
Floral Designer: Fearrington Flowers
Cake Designer: The Fearrington
DJ: Stylus SE DJ
Jewelry: David Yurman
Musicians: Arioso Strings Inc.
Event Designer: Gilda McDaniel
Attire: Brooks Brothers
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Philadelphia garden wedding with bold blue suit and cape sleeve gown
- Elegant engagement session after romantic New Year’s Eve proposal
- Wonderland-themed wedding inspiration in the gardens of O’ahu
- 6 gender-neutral LGBTQ+ inclusive wedding terms to make all couples feel included
- California Beach photo session to celebrate virtual wedding
- Couple flooded with kindness after Tennessee wedding venue rejected them for being gay
- 18 gorgeous face masks from Etsy for your Covid-safe wedding
- Colorado Gov. Jared Polis marries Marlon Reis and makes history
- How To Mix Up Tradition For Your LGBTQ+ Wedding
- Minimalist Louisiana wedding with floral cake and sparkler send off
- 6 stylish bow ties for autumn weddings
- WNBA teammates Jasmine Thomas and Natisha Hiedeman are engaged
- 6 children’s books that celebrate LGBTQ+ families
- 6 challenges straight couples don’t have to deal with when planning a wedding
- Desert LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration featuring native Arizona plants and a custom floral suit
- Celestial-themed Missouri wedding featuring navy and gold
- South Carolina engagement session celebrating LGBTQ+ love in the outdoors
- 5 floral fads in vogue for ’21 and ’22 weddings
- Disney star Garrett Clayton married longtime partner Blake Knight in a garden party wedding
- Dazzling wedding dress trends for fall