This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Everything you need to know about planning your LGBTQ+ honeymoon
- How to choose a wedding venue
- They is 2019’s word of the year
- National groups blast GOP federal LGBTQ rights bill as permitting ‘licenses to discriminate’ by wedding vendors, religious groups
- Romantic engagement photos at Milwaukee Central Public Library
- This surprise flash mob dance party proposal will move you to tears
- Pantone reveals classic blue as its 2020 Color of the Year
- The Knot, Pinterest and Zola will stop promoting plantation weddings
- TikTok is limiting the reach of LGBTQ+, disabled and fat people’s videos
- My husband and I honeymooned in South Africa. Here’s why we loved it