This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Hong Kong rules against marriage equality
- Let’s get one thing straight: Bisexuals can still marry someone of a different gender
- Reports: Supreme Court appeared divided over protections for LGBTQ employees
- Black tie wedding at the Blanton Museum in Austin, Texas
- With Brie Larson’s help, a man proposed to his boyfriend at Comic Con
- This romantic sunset proposal at OUE Skyspace has a beautiful backstory
- Vintage travel-inspired fall wedding in Iowa City, Iowa
- Teal and orange fall wedding inspiration in Lake Mary, Florida
- This scavenger hunt at Gas Works Park ends with a proposal
- Moody fall photos turned surprise proposal in San Antonio, Texas