This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor