This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Pope Francis endorses civil unions for same-sex couples
- Brian + Brett: Hudson Valley garden wedding with shades of purple
- 5 reasons to hire a gay photographer for your LGBTQ+ wedding
- PFLAG + OREO debut Proud Parent film and rainbow cookies
- Supreme Court justices set stage to end marriage equality
- Love Conquers All wedding giveaway theme revealed: Black is Queen
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts