This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples