This transgender love story just won the audience choice award at CIFF
The short documentary film “Just Another Beautiful Family,” which follows Katherine and Nick North and their family of seven, recently won the Audience Choice Award at the Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF).
The film is all about the North’s suburban family with a transgender dad and a queer mom. Nick, who is trans, co-wrote, co-directed, and co-produced the film with his wife Katherine.
Just Another Beautiful Family premiered as part of the Alberta Shorts program at Calgary International Film Festival and is now available to watch online.
“Our goal is to show people an example of what a happy, loving family looks like with queer parents,” explains Nick. “As cool as it is for us to win this award, I actually think it’s a sign of progress for all of us. Three years ago when I came out, I don’t know that a trans film would have been this loved and accepted. We wanted to show everyone that there are so many kinds of beautiful families.”
Alaina Leary Lavoie
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Allure Bridals introduces Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Collection
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study
- Carefree bohemian beach wedding in Pensacola, Florida
- Nautical summer beach wedding with Seinfeld theme
- Waterfront brewery elopement at The Piermont in Babylon, New York
- Whimsical, rustic waterfront wedding in San Diego, California
- This is the history behind the traditional wedding gift rules you’ve heard
- Rustic mountain wedding at The Red Barn at Hampshire College
- Small summer destination wedding in Perth, Western Australia