Congratulations! You’ve just said, “yes!” to spending the rest of your life with your partner. Beaming with joy, you might be ready to shout it from the rooftops and tell everyone you’ve ever met. While it can be exciting for the congratulations to begin flooding in, there are few things to keep in mind before posting your engagement all over the internet.
1. Take photos
Just because you take them in the moment does not mean you need to post them right in the moment. Capture the moments, whether they are for Instagram or not. Photos will help you remember, but don’t let them overshadow living in the moment. Take a few to commemorate the proposal, or hire a photographer to capture the moment while you live it.
2. Enjoy the celebration
Whether you have an intimate proposal with just the two of you or you are celebrating with loved ones, do your best to soak in every moment. Don’t focus on wanting to tell everyone, but instead focus on who is there with you celebrating in the moment. Your engagement ring isn’t going anywhere, so posting to Instagram instantly is not required. Otherwise, you’ll be too busy checking messages from well-wishers to focus on the actual humans who are with you.
3. Is this the end of proposing?
Your partner has just proposed to you. For some couples, this is exactly what they want. For others, both partners want to propose. Before you share the news, talk with your partner and decide if you want to share the news after each proposal or after both of you have proposed.
4. Tell your closest people first
You’re excited and you want to tell the world your big news. Before you go and change your relationship status, be sure to tell people who have a personal investment in your relationship such as family members or close friends. They will want to feel like they matter more than that friend of a friend who follows you on Instagram.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal