Why you might want to avoid Britain for your honeymoon
A European getaway is at the top of the honeymoon destination list for many couples. While some choose to visit one location for the duration of their honeymoon, others go on tours of Europe, visiting several major cities during their trip. If you are still deciding on a location for your honeymoon, you might want to steer clear of Britain. A report, titled “LGBT in Britain Hate and Discrimination,” shared its recent findings surrounding the experiences of the LGBTQ community in Britain.
“Stonewall commissioned YouGov to carry out a survey asking more than 5,000 lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) people across England, Scotland and Wales about their life in Britain today,” the report summarizes how the study came to be. “This report, the first of a series based on the research, investigates their experiences of homophobic, biphobic and transphobic hate crimes and day-to-day discrimination. The study looks at these hate crimes and if they have been reported or not.”
Marriage equality has been the law of the land in Britain since 2013, with even the Queen giving approval. Despite the support from the government and the Queen, the people of Britain are not so supportive of LGBTQ people and their relationships.
“I am a trans man and I have been stalked for over two years now from an unknown person,” shared James, 47, in the report. “During this time, I have received anonymous threatening letters. I’ve had two letters containing razor blades, one which contained a toxic substance which burnt my hands, face and eye. I have been beaten up three times.”
While the idea of a possible sighting of the Royal Family may sound appealing, there is a high risk that comes with being LGBTQ in Britain, whether you live there or are just visiting. A honeymoon is a time to hold hands, kiss and showcase all that newlywed love. Choose an LGBTQ-friendly location for your honeymoon where you can relax and enjoy yourself.
You can read the full Hate and Discrimination report here.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California
- Don’t make these 5 mistakes when choosing a sperm bank
- Alabama mayor suggests killing LGBTQ+ people and other LGBTQ+ news
- A ‘Straight Pride’ parade is planned and people are very upset
- The creators of the same-sex Barbie wedding set just got married
- You can win the Midwestern Pride wedding of your dreams—here’s how
- Colorful red and white engagement photos in Brooklyn, New York
- Nominate a love champion