Alex and Paul’s wedding at Wollam Garden flower farm was one giant outdoor party complete with food trucks, yard games and a s’mores bar.
We decorated our venue with pictures of our friends and family strung on twill between the columns of the pavilion. Having been married for nearly eighteen months prior to the wedding, we wanted our friends and family to know that we chose to do this to celebrate with them. One of our food trucks, SoBo, does southwestern style tacos. Since we live in Durango, Colorado, we felt like this would represent the new portion of our lives even though the wedding occurred in Virginia.
Our rings included turquoise and deer antler, which we have an affinity towards in our home in the southwest. My mom picked up two cases of our favorite liquors from local distilleries (Watershed and OYO) from Columbus, Ohio, where Paul and I met. One of our closest mutual friends, Victoria, was our officiant. She provided such an amazing experience that was hyper-personalized and made everyone both laugh and cry.
Paul and I are both music obsessives, and we spent countless hours making a Spotify playlist in lieu of a DJ. We had multiple people tell us no one would dance, but we were confident they would. It was incredibly fun to see everyone dance to this playlist for what had to be the longest wedding dance party (clocking in at nearly four full hours from seven to midnight). Our wedding was outdoors, and we wanted to have our favorite games available to play—bocce ball, Kubb and cornhole. The venue also had a firepit and we are both not fans of cake but we love camping so we decided to have a s’mores bar. Our wedding favors were cork coasters, and one said, “Drunk in love” (for Alex) and one had succulents (a garden favorite of Paul’s). —from Alex, one half of the couple
Photographer: Cassandra Zetta
Ceremony Venue: Wollam Gardens
Reception Venue: Wollam Gardens
Florist: Wollam Gardens
Event Planner: Tiffany Richardson
Attire: Suit Supply
Jewelry: Manly Bands
Officiant: Victoria Young
Rentals: Sammy’s Rentals
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Elizabeth Warren wants to give same-sex couples $57 million tax refunds
- Why our double proposal is a celebration of LGBTQ+ pride
- How our lives changed when we became gay parents with kids
- Summer luxe wedding inspiration at Summerour Studio in Atlanta
- Clarence Thomas says marriage equality ruling should be overturned
- A homophobic bride refused to hire a gay makeup artist for her wedding
- Having a wedding ring means I have to come out again and again
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California