Marriage equality in Australia becomes official
The fight for marriage equality in Australia has been a long one, but it has been fought by everyone from musicians creating viral videos to this 104 year old Australian who believes that love is love. Even ice cream company Ben and Jerry’s got in on the fight along with major corporation Apple using their new iPhone to help spread the word.
Beginning in November with the conclusion of a vote from the people of Australia, over 79% of the eligible voters participated in the mail-in popular vote, with almost 62% voting in favor of marriage equality.
The vote then went on to the Senate, who voted in favor of marriage equality 43-12. Then came the final stop, the House of Representatives. During their discussion, a member of the Australian Parliament used the marriage equality debate to propose to his boyfriend.
The final ruling from the House of Representatives? Marriage equality in Australia is a go!
Featured image via Economic Students
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal