Marriage equality in Australia becomes official
The fight for marriage equality in Australia has been a long one, but it has been fought by everyone from musicians creating viral videos to this 104 year old Australian who believes that love is love. Even ice cream company Ben and Jerry’s got in on the fight along with major corporation Apple using their new iPhone to help spread the word.
Beginning in November with the conclusion of a vote from the people of Australia, over 79% of the eligible voters participated in the mail-in popular vote, with almost 62% voting in favor of marriage equality.
The vote then went on to the Senate, who voted in favor of marriage equality 43-12. Then came the final stop, the House of Representatives. During their discussion, a member of the Australian Parliament used the marriage equality debate to propose to his boyfriend.
The final ruling from the House of Representatives? Marriage equality in Australia is a go!
Featured image via Economic Students
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Fall wedding with navy, green, and orange colors
- Elegant country club garden wedding
- 19 Harry Potter wedding ideas that are absolutely magical
- I proposed to my high school sweetheart—here’s how we make it work
- How wedding vendors can best support LGBTQ+ clients
- Why I’m coming out to all my wedding vendors
- Questions to ask before you choose a wedding photographer
- Cozy courthouse wedding with coffeehouse reception
- Whimsical swing set wedding inspiration
- How to propose—8 different ideas