Marriage equality in Australia becomes official
The fight for marriage equality in Australia has been a long one, but it has been fought by everyone from musicians creating viral videos to this 104 year old Australian who believes that love is love. Even ice cream company Ben and Jerry’s got in on the fight along with major corporation Apple using their new iPhone to help spread the word.
Beginning in November with the conclusion of a vote from the people of Australia, over 79% of the eligible voters participated in the mail-in popular vote, with almost 62% voting in favor of marriage equality.
The vote then went on to the Senate, who voted in favor of marriage equality 43-12. Then came the final stop, the House of Representatives. During their discussion, a member of the Australian Parliament used the marriage equality debate to propose to his boyfriend.
The final ruling from the House of Representatives? Marriage equality in Australia is a go!
Featured image via Economic Students
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding
- Where to propose at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests
- 2023 LGBTQ+ wedding trends to watch for
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park