Surf’s Up: A Beach Engagement Photo Session
Lauren and Christine’s engagement photo session on Long Beach Boardwalk in Long Beach, New York, is adorable! I love how photographer Nicole Barr captured each bride-to-be’s personality and what they have in common: their love of the water and surfing, outdoors, and their playful spirit. Isn’t that pic of the women with their pup Bailey too cute? The photography session in Gentle Brew coffee shop was spot on too, especially the coffee shot of one cup of black coffee and one swirled latte. To me, it embodies marriage, when two people symbolically become one, but still retain their individuality. Enjoy the photos, and be sure to read Lauren’s essay below on how Christine popped the question with a romantic scavenger hunt below!
Christine proposed in July of 2013, setting up a scavenger hunt along side our closest family and friends. I was in utter shock she pulled off such a beautiful, detailed proposal without me having a clue. I am a natural planner, working as a corporate event planner in New York. Christine is a critical care nurse. We have been together for more than eight years now, and she is my rock.
The morning of our engagement started with a card on our nightstand, including a lyric to the Tristan Prettyman song “All I Want Is You” and a quick note to say she loves me. My best friend Nicole was waiting for me in the living room. There was then a second note with another lyric in the song, which sent me off to get a manicure. The notes followed each step of the way, to a nail salon, and then back to her mom’s house where she picked out a couple outfits for me, all preparing me for her grand proposal.
I was dropped back off at our house where Christine stood waiting with a sign and the final lyric of the song “Will You Be My Bride.” We both immediately began to cry and I said yes without her having to utter a word! I called my mom to give her the good news and little did I know my mom and sister were waiting for me inside the house (they live in another state)! One surprise after another, 5 minutes later, a knock at the door from my 4-year-old godchild holding the cutest “Congratulations” sign. The day continued with lunch at a local beach side restaurant with friends and family.
It took almost our entire engagement to have photos taken but better late than never! It was important to us we have a few photos with our fur baby Bailey. We found an amazing photographer and decided to bring her along with us to our wedding in Mexico.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration