On the first day of same-sex marriage in Taiwan, 157 couples will wed
Earlier this year, Taiwan made history by presenting Asia’s first same-sex marriage bill, draft legislation that would grant same-sex couples similar legal protections to heterosexual couples, according to Reuters. Same-sex marriage will become legal in Taiwan on May 24, 2019, thanks to a Constitutional Court ruling in 2017.
At least 157 couples are planning to get married on May 24 when it becomes legal, according to the Taiwan Alliance to Promote Civil Partnership Rights (TAPCPR), a local LGBTQ+ rights organization.
To celebrate, TAPCPR is organizing a wedding banquet outside the presidential office in Taipei on May 25.
Equal Marriage Taiwan has been collecting well wishes for the couples. “We are looking forward to seeing the first same-sex marriage in Asia, and show to the world that Taiwan has our proudly own democratic constitution and diversity values in Asia,” Equal Marriage Taiwan’s Benson Lee tells Gay Star News.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings